Sunday, November 8, 2009

Lost and Found ch 1

Chapter 1: A New Sister and Nephew


APOV
"Emmett? Are you sure she is going to be okay with me picking her up? She's never met me and your dad just sprung it on her yesterday that she has a new step-mom and stepsister." He rolled his eyes at me and waved me on out the door mumbling about it's better this way.
Charlie was waiting down stairs for me, the keys to the station wagon my mom made him buy in his hand.
"Thank you, Alice, for doing this. I wasn't sure she'd want to come back here after what happened the last time but Renee thought it best for Bella to be here with Emmett and me, and with a new mom and sister who will have time to be here for her. I have everything set in the car for you so no worries. I hope she'll talk to us once she's home. There's so much she's still keeping to herself. I just want my daughter back. Maybe she'll open up to you or Mary where she won't to Renee, Emmett, or me about what happened in LaPush that weekend. I wish I could be there but I am needed down at the Station and Emmett's license is revoked until next month after his last stunt. Your mom should be home from the hospital by the time you get back from the airport, kiddo."
I still didn't know what was going on with Bella... She had a fling with a guy from here in Forks is what Jake told me. He didn't know who the guy was, only that Bella met him at the beach and then pined for him after she caught him cheating on her. He said anything else was her story to tell, sharing only that he helped calm her down after finding out and that her hug before leaving was a more final goodbye than anyone else realized. I knew from overhearing Charlie and my mom that she left a note for her dad and took a red eye flight to Phoenix and hasn't been back, making her father fly down there to see her or meeting in California. Emmett had taken the loss of his sister hard, he'd looked forward to her living with them for high school and actually having a chance to be a big brother for more than just holidays and summers together.
The drive to Seattle went quickly, I'd have been happier in my car but Mom won't let me drive the Porsche in town except for special occasions. Meeting my new sister is special isn't it? I mean, it's not every day you get a sister who is the same age as you to take under your wing and show the ropes. The gang will take to her pretty quickly seeing as she's Emmett's sister and now my sister as well. Rose will be wary of anyone that takes Emmett's time away from her but I think she'll bounce back quickly. Maybe having fresh blood in town will get Edward to leave the music room and stop being a recluse for a while. Bella already knows my boyfriend, I'll have to thank Charlie for introducing Jake and me.
I mean sure we look funny together, he's nearly two feet taller than I am, but he's fiery and keeps me on my toes. We're explosive together, in a good way. Hobby-wise we're quite different but it works out. He works on my car for me while I sit on the couch in his garage and sketch out clothing designs. Jake tolerates my shopping habits with a smile and says as long as he isn't footing the bill he'll do whatever I want when it comes to shopping as long as I promise to take him shopping at Vickie's when we're ready for that step. He's been Bella's best friend since childhood, the only one she kept in touch with outside of her forced visits with Charlie and Emmett the past two and a half years. Of my cousins, Edward's brother, Jasper, is off to college, a year a head of us like Emmett but Emmett chose to stay local at a community school until Rose had graduated and was off to college.
I already took the liberty of replacing Bella's wardrobe on my father's credit card. He'll never know if it was spent on me or not and I couldn't resist it after her mom sent her boxes ahead of her to make traveling easier. I'd unpacked everything into her room, well not everything, but her clothes I had to see. I kept a few basics that looked well worn but the rest had to go. I had Emmett carry it down to the car for me and I dropped it at the Goodwill in Port Angeles before going shopping. We'll worry about that when she notices. Until then, what she doesn't know won't make the drive home unbearable.
I walked as far as I could to her concourse, stopping just shy of the security stop and waited. I knew what she'd look like from the pictures of her around the house. A few inches taller than me, but still shorter than average, long boring brown hair and dark eyes. I was hoping she'd gain a tan from living in Phoenix but Charlie said her skin was as sun resistant as his, “my Washington blood overrides anything the sun can do” or something like that. I had a bag of welcome home gifts already wrapped on her bed, and was planning on having a girls' at home spa day with her and Rose as soon as we could arrange it. With all that she's been through I knew she'd need it.
I saw her walking out, a backpack on and a large duffel in one hand, a little boy's hand in the other. "Bella! Over here! "I'm Alice" I announced when they were closer. The little boy stopped and tugged on her hand, making her crouch down to his level, setting her bag onto the ground. He whispered a few words into her ear and she ruffled his hair before picking him up and settling him against her hip. Bella pushed her hair out of her face and picked up the bag before resuming her walk to me.
"Obviously, I'm Bella, you're my new sister, right?" I nodded and bounced in place. "This is Heathcliff, my mom just calls him Heath for short.”
His hair was a dark brown, his face turned into her arm. He was dressed like a child model, a pair of tan corduroys, dress shoes, a white long sleeved shirt and a pale blue and tan sweater vest. Sadly his mother did not clothe herself as well. Bella had on a pair of well worn jeans and a faded out band t shirt that was no longer legible over a long sleeved henley, topped with a too big for her denim jacket. If I didn't know better I'd think it was Jake's, or maybe even Emmett's based on the fit. Luckily I had been prepared by her wardrobe and didn't roll my eyes. I'd gotten it out of my system at home. She was bouncing lightly in spot, obviously struggling with everything.
“Oh I'm sorry, Bella. Let me grab the bag for you.” I took what up close was a huge diaper bag and could see kid-friendly snacks sticking out of each pocket as well as several books. She had sent his toys and clothes ahead as well but I'd left those for her to handle when she got in.
“Thank you, Alice. I don't have any checked luggage so we're good to go. Did Cha- my Dad install the car seat like he was going to?"
I nodded and assured her that he and Emmett took care of everything and even had driven to Seattle the week prior and had it checked for safety. Heath was finally getting used to me being near his mom and stopped hiding in her jacket. His face turned up towards mine, offering a dimpled smile. I took a good look at the toddler she held. He looked nothing like her except in hair color and face shape, a round cheeked heart structure. His lips were fuller, a deep blush across his cheeks and slight tan from growing up in Phoenix. However it was his eyes that captured my attention. Above a nose too straight and delicately boned to be from Charlie or Renee's stock, held the green eyes that I knew only one family in town had. One of the Cullen boys had some explaining to do, fast.
A/N part two:
Relationship and age breakdown:
Emmett (19) is Bella's brother.
Emmett is dating Rose(18) who is Jasper (19) and Edward's (just turned 18) sister- Rose is adopted and not blood-related to Edward and Jasper who are biologically half-brothers and adopted by the Cullens.
Alice (17) is dating Jake (16) . She will not end up with Jasper no matter what. Don't like it, don't read it, don't whine to me about it.
Heathcliff is Bella's son, age 2. Bella is 17, and turns 18 shortly into the story.

1 comment: