BPOV
After I heard a car leave, his car leave, I cleaned up my dishes, pouring the second mug's contents down the drain in frustration. Did I offend him somehow? Does Edward not like chocolate? Did I put my pants on inside out? I looked down, examining my clothes.
“He can't have dairy products; his allergic reaction is severe.” Alice came in and hoisted herself up onto the counter. “I heard Edward leave and smelled the chocolate,” she gave as her explanation for coming down.
“We have odd food and environmental allergies; Edward and I, that is. That is why Carlisle and Esme adopted us both. They had the resources to keep us well taken care of.”
I nodded and continued rinsing out my mug. I set it onto the dish towel beside the sink and then grabbed the sponge to wipe up the counters. Cleaning was cathartic; it helped remove my guilt over Eric, Jake, and now Edward.
“Alice, I need to apologize to Edward. I didn't know or I wouldn't have bothered him.” My mind drifted to how awkwardly he had handled the milk. He must have been scared to get the milk on himself.
“Is he going to be okay out there? No one should drive when upset. I don't want to worry about Edward all night; that he left because of me. Can you please call and tell him that I'm sorry? The milk is put away. He doesn't have to look at it again, let alone touch it.”
“He was the one who was pouring milk?” Alice's voice sounded incredulous. “Edward, my brother, helped you make hot chocolate?”
My cheeks blushed hotly as I looked up from my cleaning. “Um, yeah. I think I scared him when I ran down the stairs and came into the kitchen. Edward saw me looking through the cabinets and must have guessed what I wanted. He watched as I looked for the instant mix...” Alice began to laugh as I mentioned the chocolate flavored powder. “Well, Edward came out and explained that your family doesn't have instant hot cocoa in the house and got out what I needed. When I offered him a mug, he ran away when my back was turned.”
Alice gave me a look that made me feel like I had been dunked into a tub full of ice water. “It had nothing to do with the hot chocolate, Bella.” She made a humming sound and then turned as Emmett came down the stairs, Jessica on his arm.
“What Ali-cat here is trying to say is our boy Ed probably was wanting some of your sweet refreshment straight from the source.” His eyes flicked down my body and then back up again. “The boy's finally got a crush on a girl.” He made a very dramatic sniff and wiped at a fake tear, “I'm so proud of my little brother for growing up, even though his intended is not interested in his scrawny body. It serves the 'Emo God' right.”
Jessica turned into Emmett's side and flashed me a look of pure menace. What had I done to her? I raised my eyebrows and mouthed 'what' and she looked away from me, smiling up at Emmett. Her fingers fisted his t shirt tightly and he nodded before kissing the top of her head. He took a step forward, half-carrying Jessica to a side door I hadn't really noticed before.
“I should get Jess down to Papa C. I, we, had a bit too much to drink and she isn't feeling well. Good night, ladies.”
As they departed, I turned to Alice who was already holding up one finger as she shook her head.
“I know what you're going to ask... and I can't give you the answer you want; not yet. All I can say is that in time, you will know everything and for now suffice it to say no one is hurt by any of this. You will not be touched while you are here. Bella, you are our guest and everyone in my family will be on his or her best behavior or answer to me. I cannot speak for our other residents, but if they become problematic, please let Jasper, my parents, or me know.”
The deception and secrets that had brought me back to Forks were weighing heavily upon me and I needed to sleep. A night of rest would hopefully provide insight to a frustrating situation. I told Alice 'good night' and made my way upstairs. The light was on in Jake's room and I could see the thrown shadow of him pacing from beneath the door. I wasn't ready to face Jake so I thought back on Alice's prior offer and climbed the steps to the third floor.
The hall held three doors; two on my right and one centered on the left. The sole door on the left was open, showing a fairly empty room with only a black leather couch, a wardrobe, and an entire wall of music. The curtains were open, showing an amazing view of the woods behind the Cullens' home. Edward's scent clung to the room; Winter's kiss, the fresh breeze signaling the end of Summer.
The first door on the right was a luxurious yet unused bathroom. There were no towels or toiletries, just the facilities and a plush rug upon the marble floor. The room beside it contained a piano, an upright instead of the baby grand from the main floor, guitars on stands, and a number of instrument cases on pegs along one wall. A heavy wooden futon was folded out into a bed on the wall shared with the bathroom.
I was confused as Alice had said Edward's room was upstairs. The room that smelled like him didn't have a bed. The room with all of the musical instruments did. He must keep his CDs in the guest room, I decided.
I walked into the room with the cds and sat down on the couch. A silvery gray blanket was folded over one end so I pulled it up over me. I quickly fell asleep with Edward's scent surrounding me.
~*~
“Is she awake yet?”
It was Jake's voice that woke me, followed by the sounds of his almost childish whine when Alice told him to go eat breakfast and let me sleep.
“Besides, you know you aren't allowed on Edward's floor, Jacob. Bella is fine. Edward left last night and won't be back for a while.”
“Good riddance,” Jake said, and I could imagine the sneer his lips had curled into. Part of my time here would have to be spent discovering why they dislike each other.
A crack sounded from down below, roughly where their voices were coming from, followed by a loud bellow of pain from Jake. “What the fuck did you do that for, Alice? He's a prick. We all know that. Now he's messing with my girl and I won't stand for it.”
A murmur of hushed voices reached my ears, followed by a door slamming farther away and I knew I had to intervene before Jake lost his temper. Given his size, he could crush Alice. I sat up and quickly refolded the blanket, returning it to its rightful place at the foot of the couch.
The misty sky was just barely lightening and a look at the clock told me it was only six thirty. With a sigh, I got off the couch and tiptoed down the stairs. Jake's door was open but the only person I saw inside was Esme as she smoothed the top sheet down over the pillows.
“Good morning, Esme. Thank you for allowing me to stay the night.”
She gave me a bright smile and waved off my gratitude as if it was every day that she was playing this perfected version of Martha Stewart, minus the granny sweaters and bad hair.
“I sent Jake to the store for more milk, dear. He was upsetting Alice and I didn't want him to start in on you as well. I'm going to finish tidying up the boys' rooms. They're downstairs starting in on their first round of breakfast. I'll make another breakfast at seven for everyone. Please join us if you're hungry. There is fresh coffee in the pot, different juices in the ice box, and Jake should be back with the milk in about a half hour.”
I grabbed my clothes from my suitcase and ducked into the bathroom after promising Esme I'd be down for breakfast. When I finished freshening up and getting dressed, I came out to a rather bouncy Emmett. Apparently, he was a morning person no matter how late he stayed up.
“Good morning, blushing Bella.”
His hand came out, large enough to probably palm my whole head, and gripped my shoulder. It wasn't tight, but the touch was firm enough to make me stay. I had anticipated some rough housing or a large hug from him, he just seemed to be that kind of guy, but I had not expected him to lean in and nuzzle my neck. Emmett breathed against my neck.
“You slept upstairs.” He said it as a statement, not a question.
I nodded, feeling overwhelmed by his presence.
Emmett laughed and kissed the top of my head. “You're alright, B. Don't let the kings of fire and ice get you down. Jake is just an overgrown puppy and Edward is lonely, although he'd never admit to anyone, let alone himself.”
After pushing my head back, Emmett stepped away towards the stairs.
“Go get in line for breakfast. You look like you need coffee.” He rolled his eyes and then bounded down the stairs on those long muscular legs.
“You better not be checking out my ass, B.”
I closed my eyes and laughed to myself. The men here were something else.
The kitchen counter was surrounded by a pack of wolves in the guise of men. Sam and Seth were taking up one whole side of the counter, eating piles of eggs, sausage, and fried potatoes like the world was ending. I could see Jake's empty plate beside Seth's and picked it up and put it into the sink on my way through to the coffee pot.
The mug I'd used last night was still sitting beside the sink, so I looked in the different canisters until I found sugar and added a small scoop. The cream was already on the counter, so I poured about an ounce to the sugar and stirred it before adding the steaming hot coffee, hazelnut by the scent. The coffee's dark color splashed into the mug, caramelizing the cream and sugar, swirling into a lovely deep tan that signaled it was drinkable.
I stood at the window, looking out over the woods as I sipped my coffee until warm arms wrapped around me.
“Hiya, Babe. I'm sorry about last night.” Jake paused, sniffing at my neck much as Emmett had. “I thought you slept in the guestroom.”
“I did.”
Jake's worlds came out a snarl. “You slept in Edward's room. I can smell him all over you. You're off limits to them.”
But I didn't, my brain screamed as my lips locked together to avoid yelling. “I was on the couch.” This house and its occupants are confusing me. I need to get out.
“Someone needs some lessons in sharin'. Mornin', Miss Bella. I hope that you slept alright in your accommodations. Alice and I'll be headin' into Seattle later to get you a proper bed since your former mate can't behave like a proper gentleman.”
I shook free of Jake's arms. “No, Jasper; thank you but no. I am going to call Char- my dad in an hour and have him come get me. It's obvious that Jake does not need me here. I'm going to scrape together the last of my savings and get a flight back to Florida so I can find a new job. I am not going to use Eric's money and I can't stay here free of charge; it wouldn't be right.”
Charlotte came in at that moment and Jasper's eyes trailed her through the room until she sat down on one of the stools. Esme was already cooking more eggs and Jasper stood beside her, making a plate of eggs, potatoes, and bacon as soon as they came off the stove and gave them to Charlotte.
“You're lookin' pale, Char. Eat and then you're goin' to Carlisle, even if I have to carry you kickin' and screamin'. I think you need off for a month.”
“But you need me here! I need the money.” Her words were a whisper, but I could feel the desperation behind them.
“I told you, you're paid even for time off. You need to rest. I'm not like the others you've had. Now, be a good girl and eat up.”
I could feel his warm affection for her from across the room and was so confused by the relationship dynamics in the house. It was no wonder that Jake was acting like an asshole. The rule seems to be “have your cake and eat it too” or perhaps it is more of an anything goes setup.
“Bells, please stay. I'll be good. Starting on your birthday, I have ten days off. Let me talk to Carlisle and then I'll tell you everything. We'll go to the Res and have a week to just you and me. I'm still me. Sam, you'll let me tell her, won't you? Please?”
Jake had turned to Sam, his eyes pleading for something I didn't understand.
“No.” Sam looked to me and shrugged as if he didn't care.
Jake's hands balled up into fists and he moved for Sam before stopping still and glaring with an emotion bordering on hate. “Please.” I could see the effort he was making to play at being polite.
“No. She isn't one of us. The ruling stands unless it comes from the Tribe Council.”
Jake's teeth clenched and he began to almost spit between them as he breathed through his mouth. “My father will say yes.”
“And you know what his condition is. Are you willing to challenge me on it?”
Jake backed down. “No, Sam. Not right now.”
I put a hand on Jake's arm and I could feel him trembling. I'd seen him like this before. “Jake, why don't you go for a run. It always helps you calm down. Go run, and I'll eat breakfast with you when you get back.”
He nodded and stroked the back of my head, tugging my hair down into a smooth ponytail before giving Sam a hard look.
“I will tell her one day, and no one will stop me.”
Jake took off through the sliding glass door and was almost immediately out of sight. I stood watching for him long after the others had gone off to start their days. Esme had put two plates into the oven's warming drawer and told me to just put them in sink when we finished.
“So you drove him off again, we see.” I turned toward the voices; Jessica and Lauren were in the kitchen now, each carrying a tray that Emmett had taken up to them.
“What are you talking about? I have no idea what is going on here except that Jake was upset and needed to be outside for a while to center himself. Why are you here?”
They looked to each other before mirroring one another in a pose with their hands on nearly anorexic looking hip bones.
“It's a good job, easy, and the perks are worth the isolation. You've seen Emmett. He gives us everything we could ever want.”
None of it made sense except that Cullens were possibly paying everyone I care about for sex.
“Are you happy here? They aren't hurting you?”
Jessica shrugged. “It was uncomfortable at first, but Emmett does his best to ensure we enjoy it. The house is amazing and the money is better than what we could make in the city and we don't have to worry about rent, safety, or transport. They have a car we can use to go anywhere we want.”
I nodded. “I'm glad you're happy here. How long have you worked for the Cullens?”
Lauren smiled. “We started right after Jake did, almost a year ago as part timers, full time four months ago when Jake moved in. We helped him move from the apartment he'd had with you in Seattle and decided to load up our stuff as well. Alice already had rooms ready for us.”
I walked toward my friends, hurt that they hadn't told me about this new part of their lives. “Why didn't you tell me?”
Lauren's eyes went cold as she glared at me. “That's easy. We're better than you are. You had Jake, ignored all of your friends, and then you left without a word. We had to watch as he pined for you, proving that it was bull shit that he dumped you. He worshiped the ground you walked on and laid on your bed for a month, hardly moving, just turned your engagement ring over and over in his fingers while he whispered your name.”
I looked down at the yogurt lid from her tray she was absentmindedly toying with. Her nails were exquisitely done, small crystals set into the tips. Lauren looked up at me again, Jessica having backed off.
“Then, when he finally got better, you told him about you and Eric, sending Jake into a spiral of self-destruction. Jasper ran into him, saving his life when he tried to cliff jump during a storm. We talked Jake into coming to see you, in hopes you'd come back, bring Eric back to Washington as well. You stole Eric away; he was our friend too, Bella. Now, you've even pushed Edward away. You aren't that special, Bells, and you certainly aren't one of us. Go, before you ruin everything.”
I wasn't the naïve, easy-going girl I'd been when they'd known me. Somewhere along the way, probably after Jake dumped me and I met Eric, I found that small piece of backbone that sustained me. Leaning forward so that I was just inches from Lauren's ear, I smiled as I gave her my response.
“Fuck you, Lauren. You may have fucked Jake, but I'm the one he came to last night and tried to make love to. I'm the one Eric loved, and I'm the one who slept in Edward's bed. Get over yourself.” All they had done was convince me to be a thorn in their sides. “I think I will stay and keep an eye on things. Thank you so much for making my decision clear to me. Now, I'm going to go visit my father, but I will be back. Have a nice day.”
I grabbed the tray with Jake's and my plate and set it on the counter, grabbing a piece of bacon from it and then putting the scrambled eggs and sausage patty onto the toast, making it into a sandwich and went back up the stairs to find my wallet. Tears of anger were pouring down my cheeks as I reached Jake's room.
“Don't let them see you cry.” Rosalie walked into Jake's room without knocking, holding out a delicate handkerchief edged in ivory lace in one hand, a wrench in the other. “You've got guts. I like that.” She stood there as I sniffed and wiped at my tears roughly.
“They're bitter; forget them. Forget everything here if you can. Go back to your Eric, marry him, make beautiful little dark haired babies, and love them. This place is not good for you, Bella. Don't get trapped into staying. You deserve more.”
With that, the beautiful blonde left the room, her denim blue coveralls smudged in old grease. Rosalie's voice called up to me from down the hall. “Be back by nightfall, preferably by supper, if you are coming back. We do have a curfew.”
I grabbed Jake's keys, wrote him a quick note and left it on the bed, and then made my way downstairs. I went out the front door and looked around for the garage. Big band music flowed from an outbuilding set slightly behind the house, gravel leading the way to it. I walked back and saw several cars lined up. Rosalie was on her back on one of those skateboard things, slid half beneath a rather expensive looking car.
“Excuse me. Could you please tell me which car is Jake's? I need to go into Forks for a little while.”
Rosalie slid out, a smudge on her cheek making her oddly seem even more beautiful. It gave her beauty a realistic edge, less unattainable. She pointed to a side door and as I looked through, I saw several cars, not as nice as the ones in the main garage, but obviously well taken care of. Among them was a Volkswagen Rabbit, a newer version of the one Jake had built while I watched him.
He'd been a tall, well-built, yet lanky boy back then. Jake had loved me in the way a little puppy loves its master; he followed me around and kept waiting for me to pet him, or in our case to realize how much he loved me and feel something in return. When I began to notice him as more than just a friend, our love blossomed explosively. We were inseparable at far too early of an age. Our love fizzled out just a few years later. No, it didn't fizzle out; he abandoned it, for whatever reason that Sam seems to know about. Eventually my feelings for him were tucked away, the box sealed and stuck on an attic shelf, left to collect dust while my heart rearranged itself.
I climbed into the car, smiling at the poor attempt at a dream catcher I had made Jake back when we were kids. It had been in all of his cars, a silly symbol of a childhood friendship that never should have become more. Now, it seemed to mock me as I came full circle, much like the leather wrapped willow branch that formed the frame.
The drive to Forks went quickly and I was soon pulling in front of the house I knew and loved so well. I could already smell all of my old books sitting on the shelves. Sue was out front, weeding the vegetable shade garden they'd had me dig when I came back for a short visit last spring.
“Hi, Sue!”
“Bella!” She stood up and dusted her hands off before wrapping soft arms around me. “Still pale, I see. You'd think your years in Florida would have given you a tan.” She clucked her tongue. “And you're still too skinny. Let's go fatten you up.”
I was pushed into the house where I was immediately greeted by Charlie with a quick hug. “Welcome home, Isabella.”
I sat down and told Charlie about the latest with Renee and dodged questions about my relationship status with Eric until Sue mentioned that he'd called to ask if I got in last night since I hadn't texted to let him know I was safe.
“Shit.” Charlie and Sue cringed at my exclamation. “Sorry. Can I use your phone? I left my cell in Jake's room.”
Sue seemed less than pleased that I'd been in Jake's room, the mom in her, I guess, while my dad seemed happy. Of course, he had quite a bit of time to get used to me living with Jake and then with Eric. I picked up the phone off the kitchen wall and walked the few steps into the living room. Eric picked up on the second ring.
“Bella?”
I took a deep breath. “It's me. I'm at my dad's.”
“I'm so glad you're alright. When I didn't hear from you, I began to worry. I didn't want to call. I didn't know if you'd want me to.”
My eyes stung with tears. “I always want you to, Eric. This,” I waved my arm around even though he couldn't see, “isn't easy on me. But, I have to be here for a while, I think. I think I need this.”
“You think you need Jake, you mean?” His voice was bitter.
“No, Eric. Jake and I are not together; I am not going down that road again. But, I think I need to reestablish who I am without being in a relationship for a while.” My thoughts were filled with memories of Edward's golden eyes and how they darkened as he looked at me.
“You aren't coming back to me, are you? Did you watch the CD?”
“No, I'm not coming back and yes, I did watch it.”
I heard a thud, much like a fist hitting our kitchen table. “And you're okay with all of this?”
I have to be. “Yeah. I'm staying with the Cullens for a while. They invited me and have an extra bedroom.”
“They're monsters. I can't believe you would stay with them, Bella. I've gotta go. Take care of yourself, Bella; you'll need it. I love you. Bye.”
He hung up quickly, not giving me the time to debate over if I should say 'I love you' back to him or not.
I walked back into the kitchen and looked at Charlie who was sipping a cup of coffee.
“Bella, just please tell me you aren't a donor.”
Friday, October 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment