Tuesday, November 3, 2009

TTTB 10: How Vampires Play Tetris

EM POV
I didn't think in one day I'd go from being desperately in need of sex, to having a discussion with Edward of all people about sleeping with his wife, to actually being with Bella in the woods and having her scream out my name, a few times. I had expected things to be weird after fucking her senseless, but it wasn't. We bantered like normal and played games as always. Saying goodbye was awkward I mean, this wasn't just a booty-call and I didn't want to treat her like that. She's still my sister; family with benefits? No, that's not the way to put it. I like her. She likes me. My brother lets us have sex. We just are. Good enough for me. I hope Edward isn't home, I don't hear Nessie's heartbeat so I bet he took her out for a while to avoid us. I don't know how well I can keep my mind off her legs wrapped around me and how it felt. Shit! Sorry Edward if you're listening. I'll try harder err better. Umm I'll shut up now. Football. I like football, especially college football. I bet I'd make one hell of a quarterback if Carlisle would let me on a team but he's so worried someone will run into me and break a rib.
A car came up the driveway, wheels slipping slightly on the gravel. I couldn't tell from my vantage point who it was so I picked up my pace to see who was coming. The jog helped clear my mind but I was still whistling. I was in too good of a mood after sex to not enjoy the high. I heard footsteps, too heavy for Edward- he was always in stealth mode. I heard Carlisle clearing his throat. “Oh, hey, Dad.” Carlisle took in my state of undress and rolled his eyes.
“You and Bella have fun, Emmett?” I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. Did everyone in the house know before I did what Alice had expected? My look of shock must have made everything apparent. “Don't look so surprised. Esme and I talk about anything that goes on in the house, like good parents should. We knew what was going on before you left thanks to letters from Alice, and I had a lengthy discussion with Marcus on the way to the airport. Seeing as Esme called me a half hour ago saying I'd probably need to take you all out on a bonding trip one of these weekends, you look rather rumpled but entirely pleased with yourself, and smell strongly of Bella, I'm assuming you two had a rather nice time out in the woods.”
“You mean you don't think I'm stupid or screwing up?” I couldn't believe it. The king of proper behavior was talking plainly about me and Bella going off in the woods and having sex. Un-freaking-believable. He clapped me on the shoulder, knocking me forward slightly.
“Perpetual young male, forever eighteen female, a bunch of hormones, definitely not stupid. I've seen a lot in this world, taking part from time to time before I found my mate.” Carlisle then stepped right up to me, putting his arm around my shoulder like a hug. “And don't tell anyone, but a few times after. Esme and I have a little thing with Siobhan's friend Maggie from time to time.” Two women, one time. My father is the man.
“So Carlisle, I had been thinking the past few days that we were planning on moving in a few years and that we have a lot of extra clothing from the girls. What should I do with Rosalie's stuff?”
“Well, there are homeless shelters, thrift stores, or the idea I think Rose would like the most- donate it to a women's and children's shelter.” I smiled. He was right. Given her history, helping women who had been treated as she had been by Royce would be the best thing to do with her clothes. “Come on, let's go get some boxes and then talk to Jasper about Alice's clothes.”

EPOV
My phone rang after Renesmee had finished a snack. Charlie was pleased we came to visit, even if Bella “wasn't available” today. Renesmee had picked out some souvenirs for her grandfather, including a handwoven fishing hat among the other things Bella had picked out. So it was over. I let out a short sigh, earning me a questioning look from my daughter but by now Charlie was used to it.
“They're back, Edward. Bring Nessie to me at the big house, I think Bella could use some time with you. She's better after I helped her calm down but she's going to let the guilt eat her alive if you don't let her know that you love her no matter what. So you know, I gave her a necklace like the one I gave you for Renesmee. I don't know if Bella will want to talk about it so don't push her.” My throat tightened at the thought of Bella hurting.
“Is she alright? Did he hurt her?” I pitched my voice too low for Charlie to hear but I knew even through the phone Jasper could.
“She's fine physically, just shaken up a bit from what I could sense. This was a lot for her to process. She's gone from virgin human to vampire mother and lover to more than her husband in just a few months. I think it would be normal for her to overwhelmed. When Bella saw me at your cottage I think she thought I was there for less than innocent reasons and panicked. She seemed relieved to see that I had run a bath and had set up the room for her to relax only giving her one kiss. Mostly I wanted you to return home to her not smelling like Emmett and this helped both of you.” He truly cared about her and me. Jasper has been through so much but he's still looking out for us first and his heart second.
“Thank you, Jasper. Thank you for taking care of her and for making it a little less hard on me. Your actions are appreciated.”
“Don't thank me Edward, you really don't want to know the thoughts going through my head. Now get your ass home to her before I go offer a back massage.”
I clicked my phone shut, made my goodbyes inviting Charlie for dinner tomorrow and then picked up Renesmee for the run home. As soon as we hit the woods, we were gone. Unlike her mother who wanted to be carried on my back if I had to run with her, Nessie preferred to ride on my shoulders. While I had to be a little more careful with my run so any higher branches didn't hit her, it did help in making some paternal memories I never thought I'd have for myself.
Daddy? Aren't you listening to me? She yanked on my hair, emphasizing each word.
I hadn't been; I was too wrapped up in my own thoughts. Her thoughts surprised me. I had expected a running commentary of what she could see from her new higher vantage point, not the question she posed.
Dad, why were you asking Uncle Jasper if mom was hurt? Did she fall down again? This she accompanied with an image of Bella stumbling in the kitchen doorway before falling into the countertop, leaving gouges where she caught herself. I hadn't known how those had got there and Bella had distracted me from asking again, she and Esme just took out that piece of granite and replaced it with a dishwasher for all of Renesmee's dishes. Bella still hadn't quite mastered how to hold fine china long enough to wash it by hand and Esme refused to let us have plastic or paper plates in the kitchen she'd designed.
“No, honey, your mom is fine. Jasper was calling to let us know he wanted to play at the house with you so I could go see how your mom is doing after her talk with Uncle Emmett.”
Talk? She was wrestling with him the last I saw. She showed me the scene Jasper and I had already witnessed and then Esme pulling her away before the kiss. I was thankful for that; things are confusing enough for us, let alone knowing how we're going to explain it to our daughter.
Marcus had mentioned some polyamory books that would have information on ways to share the information without causing many problems. Being born into a family of vampires, and effectively being betrothed to a werewolf, should be more than enough for one little girl to deal with, let alone that Mom and Dad are happily married but Mom has two boyfriends on the side that Dad knows about. What is important, is that Nessie knows how much we love each other.
“You know Uncle Emmett, he's just a big kid, and still looking to beat Bella at wrestling even while she has her newborn strength. I was worried that they had another match in the woods without Grandma Esme or any of us to keep them in check.”
I felt her warm breath on the top of my head. “Faster, Dad, really run with me.”
My daughter had a thing for speed already. Her voice was one of the sweetest things in the world to me, second only to her mother. That I'm a father still surprises me each moment, for so long I had thought it eternally denied to me and regretted damning Bella to the same fate, but then in compromising with her we gained a daughter. A beautiful bronze haired, brown doe eyed daughter. Running as she wished we were home in less time than even Jasper expected. He was still coming down the main stairs when I opened the door. He had a box balanced on one hand and a stack of folded boxes in the other.
“We're packing up the girls' clothing to take to a shelter. Emmett and Carlisle came up with the idea and Esme has been donating time as a counselor and benefactor at a battered women's shelter in Port Angeles. We're loading up the Jeep and Mercedes with boxes of clothes. Esme thought that the baby and toddler clothes from Nessie could be used by the shelter. So here, take some boxes and when Bella's ready, pack up the clothes and bring them to the house. Esme is planning on taking them up first thing in the morning.”
I helped swing Renesmee down to the ground where she promptly forgot about us and ran to see if Grandma and Grandpa had anything new in her games area. Her happy squeal was nothing compared to her shouted thoughts about the new computer we'd picked out for her while she was away and Carlisle had finally set up for her.
I'm so glad she likes it. Esme is pleased when she can do something that makes Nessie happy.
I guess Edward and Renesmee are home. Sounds like she found her computer. Maybe I'll stop finding pop music downloaded to mine. He noticed me standing there. “I see Ness found the iMac. Carlisle had me set it up while you were out.” Jasper's thoughts drifted to Bella's lips and him leaning towards her before he started singing old war time songs. I shook my head and smiled. He was trying so hard.
“Love you, Ren. Be good for your uncles and grandparents.” Her thoughts barely registered my voice, an image of her waving flickered before she turned back to the computer leaving me and Jasper alone. “Thanks for everything. We'll be up in a little while.”
I grabbed the boxes from him and took off before I could see or hear any more of his thoughts on Bella. The river was beginning to frost at the edges when I jumped. I stopped to look into the clear water, today's changes had started here. No, they hadn't started here, they just accelerated here. They started the day I lost my sisters although Alice would say the events started the day she had the vision. If I tipped my foot into the slowly freezing water it would feel like my own body temperature, cold not worrying the stone my cells had turned into.
Get home, Edward; I can sense you are still out there. She needs you.
I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. My body may be cold and hard but Bella loves me, all of me, and this was my idea after all. Now I have to accept it fully and that means listening to my brothers and getting my head out of my ass.
I could hear music coming from the bathroom, the door still firmly closed. The boxes I stacked neatly inside the door to be dealt with later as I headed down the hall. I loosened my shirt with each step until only my boxers clung to my skin. Outside the bathroom door was a bottle of freesia body oil- I'm assuming for that back massage Jasper had mentioned. I picked it up before knocking on the door.
“Love, how is your bath? Can I come in?”
“I'm all done, but sure.” She'd been crying, I could hear it in her voice. She was still sitting in the water, the water lapped against her skin when she moved. Worried that I would frighten her I stifled my urge to slam the door open and pull her to me, opting to go slow and take Jasper's advice at the massage. I'd be the one sliding my hands along her shoulders this afternoon and evening.
“Stay, Bella.” I left my boxers in place and slid in behind her, not giving her time to argue. I wrapped my arms around her and buried my face in her neck. The bath oils and shampoo had removed most of Emmett's scent from her but a few places on her neck still retained the scent of his venom. I'd have to replace that with my own later. Cover her in my own scent once again. My body began to respond to my thoughts but I'd have to wait. This time was about Bella and making her feel loved. Time enough for me or rather us to find pleasure later. “Close your eyes, love.” I flipped her hair over her shoulder and kissed her now bare skin gently. The cap of the oil easily pulled off and I filled my palms.
“Edward, what are you doing? What am I smelling? Flowers?” From my place behind her I could see her cheeks rounding out as she smiled. I stroked my hands over her shoulder blades and hummed against her neck.
“Massage oil, which makes what I'm doing self explanatory.” She turned and smirked at me but laughed when she saw me smile at her. Bella's neck stretched as she twisted her head further, seeking out my lips and while I longed to trace those muscles with my lips I opted to kiss her as she desired. Her whimper into my mouth was Heaven to hear as she shivered against me. The fingers of my left hand outlined the tensed muscles in her neck while my right worked down her arm and back up as she relaxed beneath my touch. A purr started in her throat, the softer more lady-like version of the one I'd coaxed from her earlier in the day.
It was not like our muscles were ever damaged or torn from regular use but the sensation is still quite pleasurable. I let my thumbs stroke down over the delicately curved flesh where neck and shoulder blend together and earned a soft moan. “You liked that spot?” I stroked it again earning yet another whimpered moan. In the candle light I could almost imagine the blush that would have swept across her face. My left hand repeated the motion while I let my tongue apply the pressure on the right side. Her purr turned into a growl.
Edward!
I smothered a laugh against her shoulder.
“Sorry, love. I couldn't resist. I'll behave,” for now. I started up the massage again, working down her back and sides. When I had finished all that I could reach above the water I stood up and stepped out onto the bathmat, pulling my wet boxers off and tossing them onto the shower floor. I kept my eyes down but could see Bella watching me in the mirror, trying to be sneaky about looking at my body. There was a fluffy white towel with purple embroidery that smelled of Jasper so I'm guessing it was from his shopping trip to get the oil. I reached for my normal navy cotton towel and wrapped it around my waist, tucking the edge into the top to keep it from falling. Her towel felt like the softest velour beneath my fingers, each strand of fiber both sharp and then soft under my sensitive touch. Once I had the length fully opened I held it out to her, willing myself not to ravish her as she stood up shyly. I circled my arms around her, pulling her into me, and kissed her forehead before stepping away to let her dry off.
“Dry your hair and then come to our room, I didn't get to massage your legs.” I had stopped dripping at this point so I loosened my towel and dried my legs and then hung the towel back up on the bar. Keeping my movements slow and deliberate, I reached for the bottle of oil, tossed it up into the air and caught it behind my back, knowing that she loved when I showed off for her. I did my best to keep my modesty in check, feeling awkward to be naked outside of our bed but it was time to make sure she still wanted me. Based on the quickened breathing and her eyes fighting to stay on my face but failing I knew that I had won this round. I left her standing on the mat, watching my back as I walked towards our bedroom. I didn't make it halfway down the hall when I became quite close and personal with the floor, and Bella was sitting on my back.

BPOV
Lunging at him had seemed like a good idea until I miscalculated the distance and we toppled to the ground instead of ending in a naked piggy back ride to our room. He had deliberately taunted me, leaving his towel in the bathroom and then walking down the hall without clothing. Except for before and after sex he's never naked, his Victorian morals strong regarding propriety. Once Edward had recovered from the shock and had gotten air into his lungs again he started laughing and then rolled over, knocking me off of his back and into the wall. I joined in his laughter and we laid there, naked, on the wooden floorboards for several minutes rocking from our amusement. Edward turned to look at me, and I felt his hand graze my cheek before settling over my waist.
“Were you trying to throw me to the ground?”
I bit my lower lip and looked away which prompted another round of laughter from him.
“I'm so sorry, Edward. I was trying to land on your back for you to carry me the rest of the way to our room and I don't know if my distance was wrong or the angle but I jumped and then we hit the floor.” I looked into his shining gold eyes and saw the merriment glowing there. One corner of his full bottom lip was tilted up as he tried to smother a grin.
“My Bella. My dear, sweet, clumsy, beautiful Bella. No matter any of the changes, you are always you, my loving Bella.” He punctuated his words with small kisses, his lips moving as gently as a butterfly's wing against my skin. When his thumb came up to my lower lip I bit down gently, teasing him. His eyes darkened and my brain barely registered the movement as I found myself on our bed with my very naked husband kneeling over me.
Edward's eyes were almost black, just small flashes of topaz and gold, and I could feel his arousal pressing against my inner thigh. My back arched, making our bodies closer to fulfilling the ever present need for one another. “Not yet, love.” I whined against his arm, turning my face into it to kiss my way up to his shoulder, licking the scar I'd left him earlier in the day. He hissed lightly, locking his arms tightly to strengthen his resolve. “Was it good, Bella? Did you enjoy my brother?”
His words shocked me although he kept his tone light, teasing, yet I knew he truly wanted to know. I leaned up on my elbows and kissed him. It was enjoyable, love.
“Was he better than I am? He's had decades to perfect his technique. I've only had you.”
His voice had taken on an edge, Edward truly worried that he was not good enough as my lover. I shut him up with another kiss, roaming his mouth with my tongue. It was good but not better, just different. You are my soul mate, our bodies were made for each other. Every stroke within me makes me want you more. Emmett does have more experience in general but you have more experience with me. Edward, it's you that knows how to coax every little moan from me. You are the one that can make me wet with just a look. I am yours, love.”
His hips lowered and he thrust into me, reminding my body that it is his as he is mine.
Later after more reassurances that he's the one I want more than anything else in the world, we showered together before returning to our room to find clothing. Edward hindered my dressing- kissing my shoulders as I tried to button my shirt, sliding his hand between the layers when I tugged a sweater on over the blouse, playing with the hem of my skirt as I tried to zip it, and then pulling me back into his hips when I bent to pull on my shoes. I playfully slapped at him and he pouted, looking up through his lashes, knowing full well he'd be forgiven. “Edward, pouting at your age, really?” He looked so shocked that I couldn't help but kiss him. He kissed my nose before sprinting down the hall to grab the boxes he'd brought.
“Carlisle and Emmett came up with the idea of taking my sisters' clothing to the battered womens' shelter and Jasper thought the children there could get use from the numerous outfits Renesmee has outgrown and I agreed. I hope you do not mind too horribly.”
I wrapped my arms around his neck. It's a wonderful gift we can give. Although I'm going to keep a few of them for the memories. I showed him the day I awoke and first held our daughter, a blue dress she wore the day of her first steps, the shoes Alice had special ordered to match her own when they had a shopping trip to Seattle.
“That's fine, love. Keep anything you want.”
We spent the next two hours boxing up clothing according to size, matching up outfits, and setting aside the ones we decided to hold on to. The moon was high in the sky when we finished reorganizing Renesmee's closet and I had picked out some more interesting choices from my closet that I knew I'd never wear. Edward and I divvied up the boxes, a stack each, and headed towards the house.
“Bella, Jasper has some new books that came in while you were gone. I think it would mean a lot if you could resume your schedule from before the Rio trip. He really enjoyed the time you spent reading with him.”
The thought of spending more time with him was definitely appealing, especially after this morning in the bathroom. With my free hand I fingered the necklace he'd given me, a piece of Alice with me always.
“That's beautiful. He gave us one for Nessie when she is fully grown as well.”
I looked up at him, tears threatening to fall again. Edward set his boxes down to wipe away the venom, wiping it onto his pants. I leaned in and gently pressed my lips against his, stretching to my full height on tiptoes to do so. Are you sure, love? I'd be glad to stay home with you and repeat last night, I was looking forward to giving you a massage.
His mouth turned up into a smile against me. “As nice as that would be, I think Jasper needs some reassurance that you enjoy spending time with him.” He kissed along my cheek to my ear, nibbling in the hollow behind my earlobe. Edward's voice dropped to a bare whisper. “His jealousy was almost as strong as mine and even now he's worried that between Emmett and myself you won't need him anymore, despite the connection you've already built.” My husband straightened up, glanced at the moon, before turning his eyes back to me. “Carlisle is waiting for us to load the cars. I'll be fine tonight with Nessie. We'll have a daddy and daughter hunt and movie night. When she finally gets tired I'll get her tucked into bed and either read or compose. Then in the morning you and I can have another bath before she wakes up but tomorrow night is mine. I will make love with you until your legs are too weak to stand, your throat is hoarse from calling out my name, and my back is sore from your scratches.”
My breath was coming out in pants. I never thought he would speak dirty to me. I liked it, a lot. Based on his nostrils flaring, Edward could smell how much I liked it. His hand slid down and then up my leg where he pressed his hand against my panties. I arched my hips down into his palm. Edward smiled and then removed his hand.
“Not now, love. You have a reading date and we need to get these boxes to Carlisle. Oh, and tomorrow Charlie is coming over for supper so we will need to do some grocery shopping or you give Esme or me a shopping list for what we should make. I know he really liked that hamburger and noodle dish you made as a bribe, perhaps make that again? I think Renesmee would enjoy it as well.”
I stood there, frustrated, feeling slightly rejected but mostly annoyance at my way too smug for his own good husband who purposely got me worked up so I could be miserable all night. “It's called stroganoff and I'd love to make it for him, but I think since you invited him you should cook.” I picked up my stack of boxes and took off at a run for the house, leaving Edward standing there. He's going to learn one way or the other that teasing your wife does not make for a good night. I was mumbling under my breath the whole way to the garage. When I entered the door Carlisle stood there with his boxes and promptly doubled over laughing at me.
“What did the prodigal son do to incur the wrath of Bella tonight? I overheard 'frustrating', 'thinks he can dazzle me,' and something along the lines of 'stupid sparkling vampire.' Did you find the order confirmation from Tiffany's or did my son find another way to exasperate you this beautiful evening?” His eyes were sparkling as he tried to hold in his laughter.
“Edward Anthony Masen Cullen!” Carlisle's face fell and he stood looking as if ready to bolt for the house and Esme's protection when Edward came around the corner. Edward looked rather sheepish and slightly afraid of what he was walking into.
“Maybe I'll just leave these boxes right here and head home now. No, it is alright Carlisle. She was not aware of the gift yet. I think I may need to get a different gift now though or she may behead me before I can get Renesmee tucked into bed for the night. Could you go retrieve Renesmee from her computer for me?” I stood there seething while he looked calmly at the door although I knew he was watching me from the corner of his eye, looking to see if I was going to pounce. Then he looked at me, eyes wide with a smile on his face. “I love you, Bella.”
He was trying to dazzle me. “You will not dazzle your way out of this, Edward. First you and your brothers dunk me in the river, then your lack of follow through in the woods, and now I find out that you bought me something from Tiffany's! The cheapest item there is more than Charlie made in two weeks!”
Edward came up to me, palms out, making sure I wasn't going to attack him. I backed up until I felt the jeep pressed against my back. His eyes were still wide open, his smile bright.
“I'm sorry, my love. I know you are not fond of me spending money on you but I thought the necklace would look so nice hanging from your beautiful neck.” His fingers came up to mark out exactly where the chain would rest. The sparks I feel at his touch were not helping me to stay angry with my infuriating husband. Then he knelt down and looked up at me, his bronze locks falling down in his eyes. “Please forgive me, Bella.” The sound of a throat clearing broke our staring contest.
“You're forgiven Edward. She's no longer angry, there is still a good deal of frustration but I get the feeling that it isn't from your gift.” Jasper was leaning against Carlisle's Mercedes, his thumbs tucked into his jean pockets, a faded black t-shirt left untucked, bunched up against his hands. He was watching Edward and me until Edward let out a slight growl. Jasper laughed, shaking his head and Edward relaxed.
“Not tonight, Edward. Reading is all that I planned.”
I looked down at my husband's upturned face and saw his jaw tightening in response to something Jasper was thinking. Oh. Realization finally hit me, they were jealous of each other and Jasper was messing with Edward. Not that he didn't deserve it for earlier but I could see the effort he was making at keeping his temper in check. I put my hands on his shoulders and dropped to my knees, resting my head against his neck. I can come home with you, love. Books will wait. I love you. Don't let your brother get to you. I'm yours, Edward, even if you completely disregard my wishes on presents. I pressed my lips against his neck and stood up.
Carlisle and Renesmee had arrived while I calmed Edward down, most likely the only reason I was able to make him relax beneath my touch so easily. Edward reached for my hand and squeezed it, smiling at me. “Well, I was hoping to take our little girl out for supper before bed so I should get going. What do you say to a hunt with your father, Nessie?”
She bounded away from “Papa Carlisle” as soon as Edward mentioned supper and was in her father's arms before he had finished asking. By the smile on his face I knew her thoughts were excited at some alone time with him. Renesmee and I had had so much time together on our trip and plane but she'd been immediately pushed back into her lessons by Carlisle and Esme that it was nice for her to have some time with Edward. Tomorrow I'll keep her home for a family day in the cottage, just the three of us. Who am I kidding? Jake's been gone today, he'll be here shortly after dawn to be back with her. No doubt he's called several times to the house to make sure she's okay. I wrapped my arms around the two loves of my existence and kissed Renesmee's forehead and brushed my lips across Edward's lips, tightening my arm around his waist before letting go of both of them. I love you, Edward. Always and forever.
“I know. I love you too.” He kissed the tip of my nose before turning to kiss Renesmee's cheek.
“Be good, princes; Mommy loves you. Have fun hunting with your Dad. Make sure to eat some people food before bed too, there should be sandwich makings in the fridge unless Jake is there.” She smiled brightly at the thought of Jake being at home when she and Edward finished hunting.
“Love you, Mom.” She set her hand upon my cheek. Dad and I should go now. Have fun reading with Uncle Jasper. Cheer him up, he seemed down earlier. Gotta go now. Hunt and then Jake! Her images shifted from a rather down looking Jasper, watching Edward hunt a mountain lion, to Jake phasing and running with her on his back while she clung to his neck. While I'm still getting used to the idea of him imprinting on my daughter, I do know I could not ask for a better protector outside of her own father and family. I smiled and kissed her cheek.
“Go on. Sweet dreams, Renesmee. Call me if you need anything, Edward.” Or even if you just want me back at home. I'll be there as fast as I can. You come first, always.
He smiled and shifted Renesmee up to his shoulders and she buried her hands in his hair, her curls hanging down and matching her father's hair perfectly. He took off at a jog before speeding up until I could no longer see them moving through the trees. I could hear her laughter cut through the evening air and birds taking flight from the intrusion into their woods. The three of us, Carlisle, Jasper, and myself were standing there smiling out into the night sky, listening to the most beautiful sound in the world, Renesmee's joy and Edward's answering laugh. When they had moved beyond hearing range, we started loading the Jeep and Mercedes, too many boxes for the Jeep alone. It was an elaborate game of Tetris, fitting garment boxes in amongst the regular packing boxes but after a while we had them all in. Carlisle's hair was quite disheveled by the time we finished and had he been human I think he'd be sitting with a glass of lemonade at this point, exhausted by the effort. Jasper was quite annoyed, enough that small bursts were getting through with each shove of the last few boxes, a huge wave of it when Emmett finally came out and offered a hand just as Carlisle slammed the door shut and we sat down to admire our work. The boys verbally sparred over his showing up when the work was finished and Emmett being Emmett decided it was time to embarrass Bella.
“What can I say, Bella tired me out this morning. I needed some beauty sleep.”
Carlisle got in between the boys knowing that Jasper was going to knock Emmett into one of the cars, most likely the Vanquish causing a huge ordeal, if he didn't intervene. I reached for Jasper, tugging him back into me, and hooked my fingers into his belt loops.
“Come on, Jazz. I've been hearing that you have some new books to show me.”
He allowed me to pull him against me and all the tension drained from him as he pressed against my side. His hand reached for my wrist and pulled me after him into the house. Esme was standing in the kitchen, the smells of food preparation for Renesmee's lunch tomorrow filling the room. She stopped to smile at us and he dragged me up the stairs. Jasper let go at the top of the stairs so I went for the study door. I took a step inside, noticing it was dark before finding that he wasn't behind me.
“Jasper? Where did you go?” I flipped the light switch on to see if he'd slipped into the study before me without my notice but he wasn't there. I felt confusion slip over me, more strongly than I had been feeling. “Jasper! That's not fair. Where are you?”
I turned the light out and walked down the hall to his bedroom, a room I hadn't been in since before Alice's death. We'd always spent time in his study. The door stood open, a soft light reflecting against the wood work. “I'm right here. I was getting out the books. Come here, Bella.” He stepped out into the hallway and held out a hand to me. He tugged me into his room. It was not the same room of my memories. The smell of paint still lingered, the walls now a deep a terracotta edged in turquoise, a new four poster bed with white canopy and drapery surrounding it, pieces of artwork he'd collected- mostly war era, and one wall with a photo of him and Alice, her letters matted and framed beneath it. “She'll always be a part of me, but she's not all that I am.” I looked around, the chaise lounge was replaced with two leather recliners and waist high bookcases surrounded the room, only parting where the bed touched the wall and at the doors to the closet and private bathroom. On every surface Jasper had placed lit candles, the glow enough to read by but not as intrusive as the overhead. The effect made the entire room fill with a warm glow.
He turned to a stack of books in between the chairs. “These are the new ones.” He handed me one off the top to look at. I reached for it with my left hand, grabbing his arm in the other, pulling him closer, sliding my hand up his arm to his face, holding his cheek. He smiled warmly before picking me up and settling me onto his lap in the chair closest to him and he showed me several books on the stack, taking turns reading passages to one another. It was nearly two in the morning when we had looked at each of his acquisitions, me setting several to be read in depth later. I wasn't ready to leave yet so I twisted in his arms so that I was sitting facing him. Jasper set the book aside and lazily looped his arms around my waist.
“Did you want something?” A hint of amusement showed on his face as I closed the distance between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment