One month later...
BPOV
Finally the time had arrived to find our daughter; we were determined to have her home by Christmas. We would have a tree and presents like a real family, like the family we had been before the Volturi arrived. Edward and Carlisle had mapped out the entire city of Rio, making an itinerary of sorts- where to go, what streets must be traversed in hopes of picking up Jake's scent or setting our own. Edward made us reservations at some rather nice hotels throughout the city and a few small suburbs. Carlisle was finishing up his notations, while I flipped through the confirmation pages Edward had placed into the trip binder. My husband was nothing but thorough. I looked up at him when I saw a printout reserving a bridal suite.
“It might as well be an enjoyable trip while we are there. It will be a few years before we can really take off with Nessie again and I don't plan on us being away from her until she's fully grown.” Edward has been so busy these past few weeks, scanning Marcus's thoughts for any possible plots as well as searching out the minds of Jasper and Emmett for ways to help them heal. So far all he'd seen is that Marcus is a lonely old vampire who has compassion and understanding for our brothers since he also lost a mate, his dear wife was murdered centuries ago.
“I know, Edward. I just want to get there, find her immediately, and then bring her home. I don't think I can truly enjoy any surroundings without our little girl. She'll have changed so much in the time she's away. What if she doesn't want to come home? What if she's happier with it being just her and Jake? What if he doesn't want to come with us? What if he went somewhere else? What if something happened to them and she's wandering lost? What if something happened and we never find her or she's gone? What if people come for Marcus while we're gone? What will Esme and Carlisle do? What if we're bringing Renesmee into a trap?” Panic was escalating in my voice and I could feel the venom building in my throat as my body responded to my fear. Edward's hand traced circles on my lower back, his touch once again bringing a welcomed calm. How happy I am that his affect on me did not change when he gave me my reinforcements.
“Love, she'll be fine. You told me yourself that Alice sent you to get those papers. She'll be fine with Jake. If anything had happened, he'd have gotten word to us or Seth somehow. You've always said you'd never bet against her, don't start now. Trust Alice, trust Jake, trust me. We'll get her home, we'll reunite our family.” Edward's head tilted towards Carlisle, reading the present thoughts. “I hadn't thought of that, Father. You're right. I don't like it, but you are right.” Another pause, “yes, we can only ask. Bella, love?”
I didn't like the questioning tone and knew that he was changing plans on me. We no longer had someone checking over our decisions so we were walking blindly now. “After your comment about a trap, Carlisle does not feel secure having both of us gone from the house as long as we hold Marcus here. I am needed here to make sure we are not being deceived. Perhaps our brothers can go with you so that you are not lonely on your journey. Emmett's brawn should scare off most problems that you and Jasper cannot avoid. I'll be here waiting with open arms for you and Nessie. I do not wish to be parted from you, but I can't see any other way to ensure our strength is equally placed. Esme and Carlisle need someone here that can read the enemy should another contingent arrive and the wolves will listen to me if I call. Jasper can determine what any possible threat may be and your shield should protect from what your newborn strength or my brothers cannot.”
He was right. I knew that, despite how badly my chest ached at the thought of being separated, Edward and Carlisle were right. His presence was required here. I would be safe to travel with Jasper and Emmett and a trip abroad may be just what they needed to help dull the pain. They both love Renesmee, having a purpose could bring them back from the brink of despair I had known so well. So I did what Edward has always claimed I do best, I pouted. I don't know if I have mastered the Cullen pout he was so good at, but it let him know I was displeased but complacent. I let out a frustrated sigh as Carlisle nodded and smiled before heading back up to his office for the credit cards we would need on our journey as well as inform my brothers of the change in plans if they had not overheard our conversation.
“Very well, Edward. I know you are right. I don't like it, but you and Carlisle are right. You are needed here. I leave my heart with you in your hands. I'll miss you with every fiber of my being, but I'll find her and bring her home.” At that I placed my hands upon his temples as Zafrina had shown me and enveloped him in my inner shield, pulling the rubber band out from my mind and letting it settle around him, allowing him access to the different frequency as he'd once put it. I love you and will be looking forward to seeing how much you missed me. The look of shock on his face was priceless. I ducked my chin, embarrassment washing through me at how forward I'd been in my flirting.
“How di... did you do that? I heard you! Can you do it again?” Edward searched my eyes. I smiled and touched him again “It's hard, but yes, if you don't distract me.” His lips crashed down on mine “That, love, is a distraction.” Edward laughed and picked me up into his arms.
EPOV
I love you and will be looking forward to seeing how much you missed me. I heard her! How? When did she learn that?
“How di... did you do that?” I'm stuttering? When does a vampire stutter? “I heard you! Can you do it again?” Please, let her do it again! To be able to hear my darling bride's thoughts, a small wish granted in these dim days. Bella stroked her fingers across my face to press at my temples It's hard, but yes, if you don't distract me. My excitement needed an outlet and I pressed my lips to her, showing her how happy I was to finally hear her once silent mind. I have to tell Carlisle- this could be huge. He'll want to test her strength now that we have better ideas how her shield works. Bella won't agree until after Nessie is home. It still will not help if she doesn't want me to know something, because Bella is too stubborn to just let me in all the time. She enjoys her mental privacy. Oh, God. Her silence will be tortuous now.
So I did the one thing I could think of, I ran upstairs with her.
“Carlisle? Dad!!” I heard a bunch of confusion and could hear Esme's thoughts as she abandoned her garden and came in through the back and Carlisle headed out of the study to head me off on the stairs. “I can hear her when she drops her shield. I can hear her!” Bella was shaking with her laughter in my arms as I carried her up to the second floor.
“Edward, I can walk, you know. I thought you were over carrying me everywhere?” But you can carry me up to your bedroom anytime, or the shower or the meadow” A growl grew in my chest at her words, her spoken thoughts over images of us joined together. She seemed pleased as she nestled closer to me and spoke once more, This will be all sorts of fun, Edward. I could both see through her eyes that she was watching Carlisle as I climbed the stairs to him as well as see her images of things we've never done, things I've only imagined doing, but a gentleman would never hint at to his wife.
“Bella, you'll be the death of me with thoughts like that.” She threw her head back and laughed. Carlisle looked at us with amusement flickering across his face. Bella tossed one last image towards me, one of her on her knees before me, and I lost my grip on her and she fell from my arms and landed unceremoniously on the floor, still laughing at me.
“I'm guessing I don't want to know what you were thinking, my darling daughter, do I?” Bella looked to her feet, had she been human she would have blushed crimson, and for the first time outside of hunting, Jasper left his study.
“No, you don't, I'm heading for the supplies you suggested, Carlisle.” There was a bounce in his step though as he walked. I wondered if his and Bella's daily visits and time spent reading had been helping him?
Jasper's thoughts were random as if he were trying to block me. He seemed oddly distracted by seeing Bella and I together. An image of him watching her read while curled up on his bed flickered through his mind. Jealousy seethed below my skin. I must have been looking too long at him and he picked up my emotion before I sealed it away. His eyes flared and his mental voice was short with me It's not what you're thinking. She's been a good friend, a good sister. I'll love Alice until the day I cease to be, no one could take her place and I'd never make you feel what I do, Brother. I love YOUR Bella like a sister and can admire her beauty but not want her. I cherish the time she spends with me in silence, reading together, she distracts me from the pain and emptiness. She's given me something to look forward to. Thank you for sharing her time with me. I'll take good care of her when you are parted. I know that each moment is too long for you and her. Perhaps I can return a small part of the gift she has given me. Go get her tiger- just keep it quiet, please and he passed down the stairs to Emmett's relentless battling of aliens or whatever game he was playing today to share the news about going to Rio. I assume Carlisle had already spoken to Jasper at least while I was distracted with Bella.
I vaguely registered the conversation between Bella and Carlisle. She was promising a full examination and test when she returned with Renesmee and otherwise she needed to head to the cabin and pack. Carlisle had chartered a private jet from Seattle to Mexico City and then first class tickets from there to Rio for the three of them. Esme went to grab the suitcases from the storage room for the three of them. They had time to pack, hunt, clean up, and then really needed to be on their way. Forty five seconds later, we heard Esme sobbing. Twenty seconds beyond that found all of us that remained of the Cullen family standing with Esme in the basement storage room near three already packed suitcases, holding a letter Alice left.
Jasper reached out his hand for the letter and read it aloud to us.
“Jazzy- I know you'll take this from mom so go ahead and read it to them all before Edward starts picking Esme's brain about it.
My dear ones. To answer your questions- yes I knew I wasn't going to walk away. I didn't see about Rose until just a few moments before returning home. Jasper didn't know, don't blame him. He wouldn't have let me be on the same continent had he known. I went through with it for all of you- to save those of you I could. Nessie- sorry Bella- little Nessie is having a wonderful time with her Jacob. You'll find her on your second day when you take the tram up the mountainside. The sun will be shining before then, so enjoy your suite. Edward, by now Carlisle has told you that you're staying home so my Jazzy and Emm will be taking her. They'll be fine and she'll be home exactly 6 days, 3 hours, and 25 minutes from when she leaves. The weather will be overcast for a few days after they are reunited, let them have some fun while Nessie is still a child.
Don't worry. I'm pretty sure the pain was momentary and is worth saving all of you. Jasper, you were the love of my existence and I've never been so thankful of my gift as when it led me to you. Carlisle and Esme, thank you so much for welcoming us to your family. You brought me such happiness. Edward, you were the annoying big brother I never knew I wanted, but always needed. Bella, you were exactly what he needed to get the stick out of his ass and be the good brother we all knew he could be. The family needs you now more than ever. Take care of Jasper and Emmett. Make them smile, for me. Emmett, she loved you more than life and I'll make sure to find her on the other side so we can watch over you and laugh at your antics. You'll be able to beat Bella at arm wrestling 2 weeks after her anniversary.
Now, no peeking in your suitcases. I know you won't since I've asked. If I see that you have before I meet my end in the clearing, I'll make sure that your wardrobes are completely replaced one last time. Jasper, do you remember the 70's? Bella and Emmett- I can do even worse for you.
No more tears from me. I'm happy that you're all okay. Love and Dance and Sing and above all Live.. Don't just exist.. live for me. Let me live on through you.
Yours always
Mary Alice
PS. This isn't the last letter you'll find. Don't look for them, they'll find you.
It was then that I heard a low hiss escape Bella's lips. We all looked at her to see venom slowly trickling from her eyes, burning her cheeks as she quickly rubbed it off onto her sleeve. Jasper had her in his arms before I could register what was happening. His thoughts were flying by so quickly as he jumped from pondering how our Bella could cry- our Bella? I'd have to ask later on that- to why she felt so guilty, his own guilt that his pain was part of her guilt and tears, to berating himself for feeling a slight amount of happiness that one of us could truly cry for Alice and Rosalie. I reached to pull Bella against my chest and it was then that Jasper growled at me. The growl lasted a hundredth of a second, just enough for him to hear it and get his emotions in check before releasing her to me, I'm sorry, man, I don't know what that was about. I need to get outside before the trip. I'll see you all on the hunt. As he took off up the stairs to the front door, we all heard Marcus's bell like laughter echo through the halls from the lower suite where Carlisle was keeping him.
BPOV
With packing behind us, it was time to hunt. Carlisle and Edward, while impressed with my self-control, were worried that unless I was fully glutted on blood, I could be a danger on the second plane. After our recent revelation in the lower level over Alice's vision, and my still stinging cheeks, I needed to release myself to my instincts- to just let go for a while. Carlisle and Esme scouted the perimeter before the boys and I let loose. Edward stood by to watch me hunt, always the gentleman in making sure that I had my fill first. Although he would deny it by saying he could hunt more after I left. As he finished his third deer and before he could pull back from the hunt mentality I sent a few more images his direction. It was much harder to share my thoughts without touching him so I was limited to bursts of my fantasies; making him into my prey, ripping his clothes from him, and more images like I had sent earlier of taking the proof of his desire past my lips and tracing it with my lips and tongue until he finally let go of that damned self-control. Perhaps the instinct of the hunt would take over and keep his conscious asleep so that we could set the love making aside and immerse fully in one another, to just fuck for the sake of the physical release.
Edward's eyes snapped to my face and then perused my body, not the sensual gaze he often did when taking in my form. This was a look of possession as he stalked me. I thought again of me sitting astride his slender hips, my hands pushing against his chest for leverage. I smirked as he pounced. This game was mine. A purr rumbled in my chest as the anticipation and arousal took over. The crash echoed through the woods but we never collided. I looked up to see him tangled with Emmett against what remained of an old oak.
“Save it for later, Eddie boy. We need to get going. Jasper felt you from a mile away.” Emmett had a hand on the back of Edward's neck, effectively scruffing him, stretching him to stand on his toes, while Edward growled and tried to swipe at our interruption. I stood up and slipped between them, a hand on both of their chests.
“Emmett, dammit! You couldn't give us ten more minutes? Let go of my husband now before I throw you across the river.” As Edward was released I grabbed onto his arm to prevent him from attacking our dear big brother. Dear. Yes, I must keep reminding myself that I do love him so I don't throw him into a tree. “Come, love. Let's head up to the house so I can tell Mom and Dad goodbye before you drive us to the airport. Before you know it, I will be home again and we can continue from where we were so rudely interrupted.”
Our goodbyes made, we piled into the Volvo and made a silent trip to the airport. Edward's speeding no longer bothered me but he still kept the speedometer under 100, in no hurry to be parted from me, I assumed. Edward's annoyance at Emmett was still seething under his skin despite Jasper's best efforts, based on Emmet's smile I could guess the content of his thoughts. I held Edward's hand as we approached the airport terminal drop-off, doing what I could to soothe his mind by sending what I knew were his favorite memories of me. His proposal-despite the faint blur it had in my thoughts, our meadow, sitting on our couch in the cottage holding Renesmee as he read her a book.
Don't think of this as goodbye love. It will only be one week. Think of it as an extended hunting trip, just that I'm hunting for our daughter instead of a meal. Hey, this is getting easier each time I speak to you this way! We have an eternity to be together. Six days Edward. Help distract Esme, go over Carlisle's files for him if he needs the assistance, add a room to our cottage if you need something physical to do, compose a song. Do something, anything... Don't dwell on us being apart. I don't want to leave you here sad. I'm going to get our daughter and bring her back. Go shopping- get her toys, she'd like that. If you must, go into town and buy me something- I know you enjoy spoiling me. He looked over and smiled, stroking his thumb across my hand.
When the car stopped, Edward hopped out and grabbed my bags, leaving the boys to their own. He looked at me, raising an eyebrow- daring me to argue. I just shook my head and let a smile lift the corner of my mouth. “Exasperating boy that I love.” Edward laughed and led the way to the private charter final security point. He hugged Jasper and Emmett, nodding at each of them in response to their silent conversation, before clutching me to his chest and burying his face in my hair.
“I shall miss you, love. Six days, three hours, and 25 minutes... I shall count them down. Call when you arrive and as many times daily as you can. Jasper has the phone charger in his bags. Go on. Bring Nessie home. I'll be here with my arms waiting to hold you when you have returned. There might be some presents too... I'm holding you to that.” He dropped his voice so low even I could barely hear it as he whispered into my ear, “as well as those images you had earlier, Isabella. Emm, Jasper, take care of her for me. I am trusting you with my life here.” With that he stepped back, gave me that crooked smile I love, and mouthed “Go, love.”
Emmett grabbed my suitcase and I grabbed my bag and we headed through security and onto our plane. The private jet was small- a few couches, some lovely leather seats for when we needed to be strapped in- what a joke- as well as a fridge. Jasper put his entire carry on into the fridge and after feeling my confusion turned and said “A mid-flight vegetarian snack courtesy of Carlisle to make sure we are well satiated for the layover and second flight. We won't have time to hunt and can't bring this on the next plane obviously.” He took a seat next to Emmett, put on his headphones and closed his eyes. I watched the world fall beneath us as the plane took to the sky.
BPOV
Finally the time had arrived to find our daughter; we were determined to have her home by Christmas. We would have a tree and presents like a real family, like the family we had been before the Volturi arrived. Edward and Carlisle had mapped out the entire city of Rio, making an itinerary of sorts- where to go, what streets must be traversed in hopes of picking up Jake's scent or setting our own. Edward made us reservations at some rather nice hotels throughout the city and a few small suburbs. Carlisle was finishing up his notations, while I flipped through the confirmation pages Edward had placed into the trip binder. My husband was nothing but thorough. I looked up at him when I saw a printout reserving a bridal suite.
“It might as well be an enjoyable trip while we are there. It will be a few years before we can really take off with Nessie again and I don't plan on us being away from her until she's fully grown.” Edward has been so busy these past few weeks, scanning Marcus's thoughts for any possible plots as well as searching out the minds of Jasper and Emmett for ways to help them heal. So far all he'd seen is that Marcus is a lonely old vampire who has compassion and understanding for our brothers since he also lost a mate, his dear wife was murdered centuries ago.
“I know, Edward. I just want to get there, find her immediately, and then bring her home. I don't think I can truly enjoy any surroundings without our little girl. She'll have changed so much in the time she's away. What if she doesn't want to come home? What if she's happier with it being just her and Jake? What if he doesn't want to come with us? What if he went somewhere else? What if something happened to them and she's wandering lost? What if something happened and we never find her or she's gone? What if people come for Marcus while we're gone? What will Esme and Carlisle do? What if we're bringing Renesmee into a trap?” Panic was escalating in my voice and I could feel the venom building in my throat as my body responded to my fear. Edward's hand traced circles on my lower back, his touch once again bringing a welcomed calm. How happy I am that his affect on me did not change when he gave me my reinforcements.
“Love, she'll be fine. You told me yourself that Alice sent you to get those papers. She'll be fine with Jake. If anything had happened, he'd have gotten word to us or Seth somehow. You've always said you'd never bet against her, don't start now. Trust Alice, trust Jake, trust me. We'll get her home, we'll reunite our family.” Edward's head tilted towards Carlisle, reading the present thoughts. “I hadn't thought of that, Father. You're right. I don't like it, but you are right.” Another pause, “yes, we can only ask. Bella, love?”
I didn't like the questioning tone and knew that he was changing plans on me. We no longer had someone checking over our decisions so we were walking blindly now. “After your comment about a trap, Carlisle does not feel secure having both of us gone from the house as long as we hold Marcus here. I am needed here to make sure we are not being deceived. Perhaps our brothers can go with you so that you are not lonely on your journey. Emmett's brawn should scare off most problems that you and Jasper cannot avoid. I'll be here waiting with open arms for you and Nessie. I do not wish to be parted from you, but I can't see any other way to ensure our strength is equally placed. Esme and Carlisle need someone here that can read the enemy should another contingent arrive and the wolves will listen to me if I call. Jasper can determine what any possible threat may be and your shield should protect from what your newborn strength or my brothers cannot.”
He was right. I knew that, despite how badly my chest ached at the thought of being separated, Edward and Carlisle were right. His presence was required here. I would be safe to travel with Jasper and Emmett and a trip abroad may be just what they needed to help dull the pain. They both love Renesmee, having a purpose could bring them back from the brink of despair I had known so well. So I did what Edward has always claimed I do best, I pouted. I don't know if I have mastered the Cullen pout he was so good at, but it let him know I was displeased but complacent. I let out a frustrated sigh as Carlisle nodded and smiled before heading back up to his office for the credit cards we would need on our journey as well as inform my brothers of the change in plans if they had not overheard our conversation.
“Very well, Edward. I know you are right. I don't like it, but you and Carlisle are right. You are needed here. I leave my heart with you in your hands. I'll miss you with every fiber of my being, but I'll find her and bring her home.” At that I placed my hands upon his temples as Zafrina had shown me and enveloped him in my inner shield, pulling the rubber band out from my mind and letting it settle around him, allowing him access to the different frequency as he'd once put it. I love you and will be looking forward to seeing how much you missed me. The look of shock on his face was priceless. I ducked my chin, embarrassment washing through me at how forward I'd been in my flirting.
“How di... did you do that? I heard you! Can you do it again?” Edward searched my eyes. I smiled and touched him again “It's hard, but yes, if you don't distract me.” His lips crashed down on mine “That, love, is a distraction.” Edward laughed and picked me up into his arms.
EPOV
I love you and will be looking forward to seeing how much you missed me. I heard her! How? When did she learn that?
“How di... did you do that?” I'm stuttering? When does a vampire stutter? “I heard you! Can you do it again?” Please, let her do it again! To be able to hear my darling bride's thoughts, a small wish granted in these dim days. Bella stroked her fingers across my face to press at my temples It's hard, but yes, if you don't distract me. My excitement needed an outlet and I pressed my lips to her, showing her how happy I was to finally hear her once silent mind. I have to tell Carlisle- this could be huge. He'll want to test her strength now that we have better ideas how her shield works. Bella won't agree until after Nessie is home. It still will not help if she doesn't want me to know something, because Bella is too stubborn to just let me in all the time. She enjoys her mental privacy. Oh, God. Her silence will be tortuous now.
So I did the one thing I could think of, I ran upstairs with her.
“Carlisle? Dad!!” I heard a bunch of confusion and could hear Esme's thoughts as she abandoned her garden and came in through the back and Carlisle headed out of the study to head me off on the stairs. “I can hear her when she drops her shield. I can hear her!” Bella was shaking with her laughter in my arms as I carried her up to the second floor.
“Edward, I can walk, you know. I thought you were over carrying me everywhere?” But you can carry me up to your bedroom anytime, or the shower or the meadow” A growl grew in my chest at her words, her spoken thoughts over images of us joined together. She seemed pleased as she nestled closer to me and spoke once more, This will be all sorts of fun, Edward. I could both see through her eyes that she was watching Carlisle as I climbed the stairs to him as well as see her images of things we've never done, things I've only imagined doing, but a gentleman would never hint at to his wife.
“Bella, you'll be the death of me with thoughts like that.” She threw her head back and laughed. Carlisle looked at us with amusement flickering across his face. Bella tossed one last image towards me, one of her on her knees before me, and I lost my grip on her and she fell from my arms and landed unceremoniously on the floor, still laughing at me.
“I'm guessing I don't want to know what you were thinking, my darling daughter, do I?” Bella looked to her feet, had she been human she would have blushed crimson, and for the first time outside of hunting, Jasper left his study.
“No, you don't, I'm heading for the supplies you suggested, Carlisle.” There was a bounce in his step though as he walked. I wondered if his and Bella's daily visits and time spent reading had been helping him?
Jasper's thoughts were random as if he were trying to block me. He seemed oddly distracted by seeing Bella and I together. An image of him watching her read while curled up on his bed flickered through his mind. Jealousy seethed below my skin. I must have been looking too long at him and he picked up my emotion before I sealed it away. His eyes flared and his mental voice was short with me It's not what you're thinking. She's been a good friend, a good sister. I'll love Alice until the day I cease to be, no one could take her place and I'd never make you feel what I do, Brother. I love YOUR Bella like a sister and can admire her beauty but not want her. I cherish the time she spends with me in silence, reading together, she distracts me from the pain and emptiness. She's given me something to look forward to. Thank you for sharing her time with me. I'll take good care of her when you are parted. I know that each moment is too long for you and her. Perhaps I can return a small part of the gift she has given me. Go get her tiger- just keep it quiet, please and he passed down the stairs to Emmett's relentless battling of aliens or whatever game he was playing today to share the news about going to Rio. I assume Carlisle had already spoken to Jasper at least while I was distracted with Bella.
I vaguely registered the conversation between Bella and Carlisle. She was promising a full examination and test when she returned with Renesmee and otherwise she needed to head to the cabin and pack. Carlisle had chartered a private jet from Seattle to Mexico City and then first class tickets from there to Rio for the three of them. Esme went to grab the suitcases from the storage room for the three of them. They had time to pack, hunt, clean up, and then really needed to be on their way. Forty five seconds later, we heard Esme sobbing. Twenty seconds beyond that found all of us that remained of the Cullen family standing with Esme in the basement storage room near three already packed suitcases, holding a letter Alice left.
Jasper reached out his hand for the letter and read it aloud to us.
“Jazzy- I know you'll take this from mom so go ahead and read it to them all before Edward starts picking Esme's brain about it.
My dear ones. To answer your questions- yes I knew I wasn't going to walk away. I didn't see about Rose until just a few moments before returning home. Jasper didn't know, don't blame him. He wouldn't have let me be on the same continent had he known. I went through with it for all of you- to save those of you I could. Nessie- sorry Bella- little Nessie is having a wonderful time with her Jacob. You'll find her on your second day when you take the tram up the mountainside. The sun will be shining before then, so enjoy your suite. Edward, by now Carlisle has told you that you're staying home so my Jazzy and Emm will be taking her. They'll be fine and she'll be home exactly 6 days, 3 hours, and 25 minutes from when she leaves. The weather will be overcast for a few days after they are reunited, let them have some fun while Nessie is still a child.
Don't worry. I'm pretty sure the pain was momentary and is worth saving all of you. Jasper, you were the love of my existence and I've never been so thankful of my gift as when it led me to you. Carlisle and Esme, thank you so much for welcoming us to your family. You brought me such happiness. Edward, you were the annoying big brother I never knew I wanted, but always needed. Bella, you were exactly what he needed to get the stick out of his ass and be the good brother we all knew he could be. The family needs you now more than ever. Take care of Jasper and Emmett. Make them smile, for me. Emmett, she loved you more than life and I'll make sure to find her on the other side so we can watch over you and laugh at your antics. You'll be able to beat Bella at arm wrestling 2 weeks after her anniversary.
Now, no peeking in your suitcases. I know you won't since I've asked. If I see that you have before I meet my end in the clearing, I'll make sure that your wardrobes are completely replaced one last time. Jasper, do you remember the 70's? Bella and Emmett- I can do even worse for you.
No more tears from me. I'm happy that you're all okay. Love and Dance and Sing and above all Live.. Don't just exist.. live for me. Let me live on through you.
Yours always
Mary Alice
PS. This isn't the last letter you'll find. Don't look for them, they'll find you.
It was then that I heard a low hiss escape Bella's lips. We all looked at her to see venom slowly trickling from her eyes, burning her cheeks as she quickly rubbed it off onto her sleeve. Jasper had her in his arms before I could register what was happening. His thoughts were flying by so quickly as he jumped from pondering how our Bella could cry- our Bella? I'd have to ask later on that- to why she felt so guilty, his own guilt that his pain was part of her guilt and tears, to berating himself for feeling a slight amount of happiness that one of us could truly cry for Alice and Rosalie. I reached to pull Bella against my chest and it was then that Jasper growled at me. The growl lasted a hundredth of a second, just enough for him to hear it and get his emotions in check before releasing her to me, I'm sorry, man, I don't know what that was about. I need to get outside before the trip. I'll see you all on the hunt. As he took off up the stairs to the front door, we all heard Marcus's bell like laughter echo through the halls from the lower suite where Carlisle was keeping him.
BPOV
With packing behind us, it was time to hunt. Carlisle and Edward, while impressed with my self-control, were worried that unless I was fully glutted on blood, I could be a danger on the second plane. After our recent revelation in the lower level over Alice's vision, and my still stinging cheeks, I needed to release myself to my instincts- to just let go for a while. Carlisle and Esme scouted the perimeter before the boys and I let loose. Edward stood by to watch me hunt, always the gentleman in making sure that I had my fill first. Although he would deny it by saying he could hunt more after I left. As he finished his third deer and before he could pull back from the hunt mentality I sent a few more images his direction. It was much harder to share my thoughts without touching him so I was limited to bursts of my fantasies; making him into my prey, ripping his clothes from him, and more images like I had sent earlier of taking the proof of his desire past my lips and tracing it with my lips and tongue until he finally let go of that damned self-control. Perhaps the instinct of the hunt would take over and keep his conscious asleep so that we could set the love making aside and immerse fully in one another, to just fuck for the sake of the physical release.
Edward's eyes snapped to my face and then perused my body, not the sensual gaze he often did when taking in my form. This was a look of possession as he stalked me. I thought again of me sitting astride his slender hips, my hands pushing against his chest for leverage. I smirked as he pounced. This game was mine. A purr rumbled in my chest as the anticipation and arousal took over. The crash echoed through the woods but we never collided. I looked up to see him tangled with Emmett against what remained of an old oak.
“Save it for later, Eddie boy. We need to get going. Jasper felt you from a mile away.” Emmett had a hand on the back of Edward's neck, effectively scruffing him, stretching him to stand on his toes, while Edward growled and tried to swipe at our interruption. I stood up and slipped between them, a hand on both of their chests.
“Emmett, dammit! You couldn't give us ten more minutes? Let go of my husband now before I throw you across the river.” As Edward was released I grabbed onto his arm to prevent him from attacking our dear big brother. Dear. Yes, I must keep reminding myself that I do love him so I don't throw him into a tree. “Come, love. Let's head up to the house so I can tell Mom and Dad goodbye before you drive us to the airport. Before you know it, I will be home again and we can continue from where we were so rudely interrupted.”
Our goodbyes made, we piled into the Volvo and made a silent trip to the airport. Edward's speeding no longer bothered me but he still kept the speedometer under 100, in no hurry to be parted from me, I assumed. Edward's annoyance at Emmett was still seething under his skin despite Jasper's best efforts, based on Emmet's smile I could guess the content of his thoughts. I held Edward's hand as we approached the airport terminal drop-off, doing what I could to soothe his mind by sending what I knew were his favorite memories of me. His proposal-despite the faint blur it had in my thoughts, our meadow, sitting on our couch in the cottage holding Renesmee as he read her a book.
Don't think of this as goodbye love. It will only be one week. Think of it as an extended hunting trip, just that I'm hunting for our daughter instead of a meal. Hey, this is getting easier each time I speak to you this way! We have an eternity to be together. Six days Edward. Help distract Esme, go over Carlisle's files for him if he needs the assistance, add a room to our cottage if you need something physical to do, compose a song. Do something, anything... Don't dwell on us being apart. I don't want to leave you here sad. I'm going to get our daughter and bring her back. Go shopping- get her toys, she'd like that. If you must, go into town and buy me something- I know you enjoy spoiling me. He looked over and smiled, stroking his thumb across my hand.
When the car stopped, Edward hopped out and grabbed my bags, leaving the boys to their own. He looked at me, raising an eyebrow- daring me to argue. I just shook my head and let a smile lift the corner of my mouth. “Exasperating boy that I love.” Edward laughed and led the way to the private charter final security point. He hugged Jasper and Emmett, nodding at each of them in response to their silent conversation, before clutching me to his chest and burying his face in my hair.
“I shall miss you, love. Six days, three hours, and 25 minutes... I shall count them down. Call when you arrive and as many times daily as you can. Jasper has the phone charger in his bags. Go on. Bring Nessie home. I'll be here with my arms waiting to hold you when you have returned. There might be some presents too... I'm holding you to that.” He dropped his voice so low even I could barely hear it as he whispered into my ear, “as well as those images you had earlier, Isabella. Emm, Jasper, take care of her for me. I am trusting you with my life here.” With that he stepped back, gave me that crooked smile I love, and mouthed “Go, love.”
Emmett grabbed my suitcase and I grabbed my bag and we headed through security and onto our plane. The private jet was small- a few couches, some lovely leather seats for when we needed to be strapped in- what a joke- as well as a fridge. Jasper put his entire carry on into the fridge and after feeling my confusion turned and said “A mid-flight vegetarian snack courtesy of Carlisle to make sure we are well satiated for the layover and second flight. We won't have time to hunt and can't bring this on the next plane obviously.” He took a seat next to Emmett, put on his headphones and closed his eyes. I watched the world fall beneath us as the plane took to the sky.

No comments:
Post a Comment