I turned over in bed and smiled. The phone was still on the pillow beside me. Blinking my eyes repeatedly, however, did not remove the evidence that Alice had been in my room overnight. A small mountain of presents had shown up beside the bed with a large sign of “Happy Birthday, Bella!” sitting in the front.
I had been up late talking to Edward. He was on the phone with Carlisle last night when I came back from Port Angeles with Seth and I'd asked to speak with him. After apologizing for the hot chocolate fiasco, dubbed 'CocoaGate' by Emmett, Edward asked to speak with me in private. Carlisle offered me the use of his cellphone so that Edward and I could speak upstairs without me having to switch phones. Once I was upstairs and sitting on his couch, as requested, we ended up talking until two in the morning.
“You know you can stop apologizing, Bella. Alice has told me at least twenty times this week. I wanted to help you feel comfortable in my home.”
He sounded almost embarrassed to admit his feelings.
“Thank you, Edward. Can I make one other apology and then be done?”
He laughed, a warm rich sound that filled my body with a glow I could not suppress, and told me to unburden myself.
“After my fight with Jake and the hot chocolate incident, I really wanted to be alone. Your sister had told me there was a guest room up on the third floor so I made my way up here. I was confused by the rooms' furnishings and ended up sleeping on your couch, bed, lounger thingy.”
I expected him to be upset; he is a very private person from what I have gathered, and does not allow others in his domain often. Instead, I could almost feel his smile through phone.
“I hope that you were comfortable, Bella. Feel free to utilize my private room as your sanctuary. I am an insomniac and do not have much need for a bed in my chamber. The Quileute males will not enter my room, so you should have peace there. In fact, please, have my brothers move your bed into there. I would like to know that you are in a safe place.”
Our conversation was spent with Edward graciously bending over backwards unnecessarily while I declined his generosity. In the end we settled for me agreeing to sleep on his couch whenever I felt the need to be alone and a promise that I would call him whenever I wanted someone to speak with. We had talked about everything under the sun, from my favorite books to the songs he's composed.
At midnight, he was the first to wish me a happy birthday, stopping mid-sentence to sing, despite Jake's yell of “come down so I can wish you a happy birthday, Bells!” from the floor below. I never did go down.
“Happy birthday, Bella. I hope that your next year brings much happiness and joy. Since I am a bad host and am not there to wish you many happy returns in person, may I offer to fulfill your greatest wish for a birthday gift? Anything you want, I shall obtain for you, no matter the cost or effort.”
I thought about everything I wanted. I already had a place to stay; Esme and Carlisle had been adamant that I stay with them rent free while I looked for a job. Mike Newton's parents hired me on part time, just on Saturday's, to help out for the autumn and holiday seasons. I would have money enough for my own expenses and luckily, I didn't need to rely on Charlie.
After I'd told Charlie I wasn't a donor, let alone have any idea what he was talking about, he relaxed. I told him that all I knew was that there were some weird things at the Cullens house, but they seemed nice enough. Charlie had pushed me and eventually I said that I thought the Cullen kids were into some odd sex games, so no, I wasn't going to donate myself for their benefit. When I asked him what he knew, Charlie said that he hears a lot of rumors, being the police chief and has heard people toss around the word “donor.”
In the week leading up to my birthday, I'd asked Charlie repeatedly to explain himself, knowing that he was hiding something, and each time, he would state that the “Cullen situation” was strictly on a need to know basis and that I most definitely did not need to know. Otherwise, Charlie would evade answering and bring up my ex-fiancee I was living with, albeit in two different rooms. Jake was making me something, exactly what I had no idea, but he'd been out back in the workshop for several hours. Since my visit to Charlie and my moving up to the third floor, he had improved greatly.
What I wanted, were answers. Sadly, I doubted even an offer such as Edward had made would provide them.
“Edward, if you are determined to give me anything I want, and I know that an end to my confusion over what is going on is not an option, I wish for you to come home. I hate that I've driven you away. Come home, please.”
He cleared his throat, and then was silent for a moment before a squeaky voice, almost prepubescent, came over the phone. “As you wish, Isabella. I will be home before your birthday is over. I should pack now and then rest if I am to be there for your birthday dinner. We have guests arriving today, be careful around them. He is trouble.”
Great. Another overprotective male in my life who does not think I can take care of myself. Take a deep breath, Bella. “Thank you, Edward, for your concern; I will be on guard for more weird people who don't give real answers to my questions.”
His next words came out as if paining him. “I shall talk to Carlisle, tomorrow, and discuss your confusion to see what he and I can do for you. But not today, let your birthday be one of joy as it marks the day you entered this world.” He said something else, I heard the barest mumble as Edward spoke to himself. When questioned, he simply said that he was thinking aloud.
“May you have a blessed day, Bella. Enjoy all that Alice has planned for you. I shall see you this evening. Now, you must go to bed. It is too late for you to be awake. Sleep well.”
I dreamt of Edward all night, well for the five hours or so I actually slept. He truly was a kindred spirit and I looked forward to becoming his friend as time progressed. The lower half of me had throbbed in time with his voice, turning into a dull ache that caused me to press my thighs together, as he sang 'happy birthday' over the phone.
Lying on his couch bed after our call, I had laid my head back into the leather where his scent seemed almost ingrained. My pussy still throbbed from listening to Edward's voice and I could not resist the lure of pressing my hand against the apex of my denim-covered thighs. The pressure made it worse.
I lowered the zipper, each click of the teeth in the slider seemed impossibly loud, and popped free the button and then lowered the denim just a few inches so that I could slide my hand beneath. I heard footsteps on the floor below, so even with the door closed, I pulled the blanket down over me. Being seen by Emmett while I masturbated on Edward's couch was not my idea of fun.
I let the sweet lemon fresh scent wash over me while my fingers moved beneath the cotton briefs. Finding bare skin was still a shock despite having had forty-eight hours to become accustomed to it. Rosalie had taken me into a spa in Seattle while she had to go in search of some spare parts. She decided that we needed a “girl” day to get to know one another.
The waxing was painful, but not as bad as I had expected, and was a whole lot better than shaving daily. It was definitely a bonding experience as we laid on the chairs, a curtain separating us while she talked about all the places she's seen in the world. Apparently, she and Emmett decided to just get two year degrees and then travel. They plan to go back for their full bachelors degrees later and explore the beautiful places in the world now while they can enjoy the rugged backpacking .
As we sat sipping on champagne and picking at the fruit plate the woman had brought us while our lower legs and feet were massaged before the pedicure, Rosalie cut to the heart of the matter.
“I'm a bitch, but that does not mean I do not care. I care about my family and its well being before I care about anyone or anything else. You will be hard pressed to find anyone more loyal than I am to those I love. If you ever hurt someone I love, you will find me to be the monster from your worst nightmare. In the meantime, I would like to be your friend, although I am not the easy-to-like Alice with her ways of knowing exactly what you need.”
I nodded, not knowing what to say.
“Bella, like I said, I am a bitch, I know that. I'm rough edged, and not nearly as refined as my outside appearance may seem. I am a mechanic; I like to get down and dirty with a project, not simply pay to have it done. But, I like the best and only do the best. I'm the friend who will always have your back, but I'll tell you how things are. You will always get the truth from me, when I can give it, and you may not like it very much, but that's the friend I can be.”
“I'd like to be your friend, Rosalie.”
She smiled, those makeup-model beautiful lips turning up into something Angelina Jolie would be jealous of. “You may call me 'Rose.' You're one of us now.”
Later, as she parked her candy apple red convertible in its shrine within the garage, Rose said something that threw me for a loop and has still left me off balance. “If my Emmett chooses you, and you accept, I would be happy with his decision. I'd share him with you willingly. You are someone I enjoy being around, not like the other residents we have.” In other words, Lauren and Jessica.
I closed my eyes, my head tilting back into the arm cushion, as two fingers thrust into me. It had only been Eric's fingers for two years, he was always more than happy to help me out, even in the rare occasion he was not in the mood to help in a more sweat inducing way. Before that, Jake and I had a very healthy sex life up until his distancing.
Having Jake just a floor below, and thinking of his muscled body pressing against me ignited the flames into an inferno, my fingers pumping in and out of me. My head turned, my nose brushed against the leather, and I smelled Edward. Instantly, his was the face I saw above me in my mind. His lean body was the one kneeling between my thighs, long fingers stroking my wetness with a look of almost awe on his face.
I switched hands, two fingers on the left thrusting within me while my right middle finger set into a rhythm of stroking my clit until my hips were raising to meet my, and the dream Edward's, fingers. I could almost feel his lips on mine as the slowly warming leather brushed against my skin. I felt his back beneath my hands as he slid into me, his cock long and sleek like his body, not the thick bough of Jake's, but angled so he hit every little spot inside me.
When Edward buried his face in my neck, I imagined him sucking at the skin, marking me as his, and I came, my pussy clenching around my thrusting fingers. His name was the one I whispered as I climaxed. As my body relaxed, still trembling a minute later, I heard a lone wolf's cry in the deep woods.
On weak legs, I hobbled across the hall to my own room, set Carlisle's phone beside me in case Edward called back, and fell asleep. Waking up this morning, showed me the mountain of gifts. Reaching for the top box on the pile, it was much lighter than I expected. I tore the paper from it in a hurry, discovering a box empty except for a single sheet of paper.
“How the hell did they get that in here?” I mused aloud.
Giggling immediately started up outside my door.
“Are you decent, Bella?” Rosalie called in to me.
“Does it matter? Ow! Dammit! That hurt, Rosie.” I should have expected that from Emmett.
“Yes, I'm covered, come on in.” I got up and went to the wardrobe, closing my eyes as I grasped the handles. Opening one eye slowly, I squinted, attempting to disbelieve what I saw. Opening the other revealed that I had seen correctly; more articles of clothing were artfully crammed into a small space than I think Eric and I had combined in Florida.
Alice and Rose barreled into the room and began showing me what they had purchased amid my complaints about spending too much. Jasper and Emmett stood just inside the doorway, shaking their heads and telling me it wasn't worth the effort, to just smile and say 'thank you.'
After picking out a soft sweater in a deep navy with tan corduroys, I kicked everyone out so I could get dressed. I slipped on a pair of cozy socks and then checked the rest of the boxes. They were empty of course.
I was on the third step down when Jake rushed up, barreled into me, and caught me just as I began to fall. “Happy birthday, Bells!”
Jake's lips pressed against my cheek as he spun around, making me dizzy as he jumped down at least seven stairs, landing with a thud before making two steps into his room. With a slight jarring of his torso, Jake kicked the door shut and then moved to sit on the couch, taking me with him. He released one hand from holding me, and grabbed a small paper bag from the table, setting it down in my lap.
I looked at him, a small smile on my lips despite my annoyance at being carried into his room again. Edward was coming home, for my birthday; and the thought excited me more than it should. I unfolded the brown paper bag and slid my finger across the taped end, opening it up to show a handful of wadded up tissue paper.
“Careful, I don't want you to cut yourself.”
I rolled my eyes, as it was at least the tenth time he's said it to me while I've been staying here. I carefully reached in and pulled out a bracelet. There were several pieces of beach glass wrapped in thin leather string and then a wooden wolf, hand-carved by Jake. It was beautiful.
“Do you like it?” Jake's voice had a little boy's hopeful tone encased within the smooth voice I knew so well.
“It's amazing, Jake. You've gotten so good at carving. I can't believe it!” I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his jawline in thanks. Warm lips turned and caught mine, causing memories to resurface.
“No, Jake. No. I can't do this again. I can't live in a life of secrets and worrying where you're going. I don't share well with others. I would not tolerate whatever you have going on with Rose, even if my heart could learn to trust you again. Besides, this is still all much too soon after I ended things with Eric to come back here. I can't deal with any of this.”
Jake stood, setting me down on the couch as he began to pace.
“I heard you on the phone with Edward last night, this morning, whatever. You certainly sounded happy to talk to him, happier than I've heard you in ages. You sounded like the old Bells, the one I grew up with.”
“The one you destroyed, Jacob.”
I stormed out of the room and bounced off of Jasper's plaid shirt covered chest. “Whoa, darlin'. Hold your horses before you fall down the stairs. That would not be the way to start your special day. Let's get you down to the kitchen where Esme is making Belgian waffles, and I think there are these odd sausage coffee muffins that Alice discovered when we were in Minneapolis a few years ago. The recipe I mean; not the muffins. They wouldn't be good now, I think. Why don't you go on down, sugar, and I'll see about straightenin' up your man here, again, so that your birth celebration is a happy one.”
A few times, I heard mention of someone named James and quickly put that together with the notice from Edward that the family had a guest coming, so I set about making supper for everyone. I did not want to put Esme through the work of a special birthday dinner when I knew Alice had already ordered a cake from a Port Angeles bakery. I had the roast in the pan and was slicing carrots and potatoes when the knife slipped and I nicked my finger.
It stung but was not too painful. Then one ruby drop emerged, followed by a second. The cloyingly sweet scent mixed with rust as it hit my nose and the world began to spin.
“Something smells good in here.” Emmett's voice reached my ears as I began to fall and strong arms wrapped around me. Almost effortlessly, Emmett lifted me up against his chest, one arm around my shoulders, the other beneath my legs. He set me down on the counter so that we were at the same level.
I was still woozy from the blood as his hand slid down my arm slowly, and I watched as his eyes darkened into a burnt caramel. His fingers wrapped around my wrist, his thumb applying gentle pressure on the palm of my hand until my fingers extended. Emmett examined the cut, a small line of blood running down the finger now.
He made a purring sound and leaned in closer so that my legs had to part, allowing Emmett to step in between them. I watched, as if in slow motion, as Emmett lifted my finger to his mouth, his tongue coming out to lick the blood. The crimson line ran down his tongue and then it all disappeared as he took my finger into his mouth and sucked lightly. Each ridge of his tongue played my finger like an instrument before he released it, kissing the tip as he stepped back, both of us panting slightly.
“You taste divine.”
Emmett then walked away, leaving me on the counter in an aroused, yet confused, stupor. I pushed forward, and dropped to the ground. I was in a mental fog as I put the vegetables into the roasting pan and shoved it into the oven. The cut on my finger was gone, replaced by the faintest of silver lines.
Jake. I had to get to Jake.
I almost collided with the front door as it opened, a blond long-haired man entering in a leather coat and tight jeans, a tall curvy redhead behind him.
“Excuse me,” I mumbled as I ran up the stairs two at a time.
I ran into Jake's room and closed the door. He was stretched out on his bed, headphones on, as he relaxed.
“What? What's going on, Bells?”
I held up my finger.
“He licked me, Jake. He licked my finger where I'd cut it. The cut's gone. He licked me and the cut is gone.”
Jake was shaking as he rolled up to a seated position and then scooted off the bed.
“Who licked you?”
“Emmett. He...he came into the kitchen and I'd cut myself. He caught me as I started to fall...and then he licked me...” and I won't tell you how he sucked on my finger, “and then the cut was healed to just a scar.”
Jake crushed me to his chest, my ribcage complaining at the strength of his embrace. “Just breathe, Bells. You're safe here.”
I could feel his body continue to tremble as his fingers rubbed up and down my back.
“I think you need to know everything, Bella. I hate it. I wanted you to be outside this world; but I think you need to know. It may work out for us in the end if you do. You'll find out everything soon after.”
There were hot tears falling onto my face from Jake as he cried. “I didn't want this for you, my love, my only love. I wanted more for you than this life. I'll make it right. I will. I am taking you to Carlisle. He can answer all of your questions.”
What color ribbon is Edward going to wrap himself up in as a birthday present?
How do you think Bella will take the news from Doctor Hot Bitch?
I had been up late talking to Edward. He was on the phone with Carlisle last night when I came back from Port Angeles with Seth and I'd asked to speak with him. After apologizing for the hot chocolate fiasco, dubbed 'CocoaGate' by Emmett, Edward asked to speak with me in private. Carlisle offered me the use of his cellphone so that Edward and I could speak upstairs without me having to switch phones. Once I was upstairs and sitting on his couch, as requested, we ended up talking until two in the morning.
“You know you can stop apologizing, Bella. Alice has told me at least twenty times this week. I wanted to help you feel comfortable in my home.”
He sounded almost embarrassed to admit his feelings.
“Thank you, Edward. Can I make one other apology and then be done?”
He laughed, a warm rich sound that filled my body with a glow I could not suppress, and told me to unburden myself.
“After my fight with Jake and the hot chocolate incident, I really wanted to be alone. Your sister had told me there was a guest room up on the third floor so I made my way up here. I was confused by the rooms' furnishings and ended up sleeping on your couch, bed, lounger thingy.”
I expected him to be upset; he is a very private person from what I have gathered, and does not allow others in his domain often. Instead, I could almost feel his smile through phone.
“I hope that you were comfortable, Bella. Feel free to utilize my private room as your sanctuary. I am an insomniac and do not have much need for a bed in my chamber. The Quileute males will not enter my room, so you should have peace there. In fact, please, have my brothers move your bed into there. I would like to know that you are in a safe place.”
Our conversation was spent with Edward graciously bending over backwards unnecessarily while I declined his generosity. In the end we settled for me agreeing to sleep on his couch whenever I felt the need to be alone and a promise that I would call him whenever I wanted someone to speak with. We had talked about everything under the sun, from my favorite books to the songs he's composed.
At midnight, he was the first to wish me a happy birthday, stopping mid-sentence to sing, despite Jake's yell of “come down so I can wish you a happy birthday, Bells!” from the floor below. I never did go down.
“Happy birthday, Bella. I hope that your next year brings much happiness and joy. Since I am a bad host and am not there to wish you many happy returns in person, may I offer to fulfill your greatest wish for a birthday gift? Anything you want, I shall obtain for you, no matter the cost or effort.”
I thought about everything I wanted. I already had a place to stay; Esme and Carlisle had been adamant that I stay with them rent free while I looked for a job. Mike Newton's parents hired me on part time, just on Saturday's, to help out for the autumn and holiday seasons. I would have money enough for my own expenses and luckily, I didn't need to rely on Charlie.
After I'd told Charlie I wasn't a donor, let alone have any idea what he was talking about, he relaxed. I told him that all I knew was that there were some weird things at the Cullens house, but they seemed nice enough. Charlie had pushed me and eventually I said that I thought the Cullen kids were into some odd sex games, so no, I wasn't going to donate myself for their benefit. When I asked him what he knew, Charlie said that he hears a lot of rumors, being the police chief and has heard people toss around the word “donor.”
In the week leading up to my birthday, I'd asked Charlie repeatedly to explain himself, knowing that he was hiding something, and each time, he would state that the “Cullen situation” was strictly on a need to know basis and that I most definitely did not need to know. Otherwise, Charlie would evade answering and bring up my ex-fiancee I was living with, albeit in two different rooms. Jake was making me something, exactly what I had no idea, but he'd been out back in the workshop for several hours. Since my visit to Charlie and my moving up to the third floor, he had improved greatly.
What I wanted, were answers. Sadly, I doubted even an offer such as Edward had made would provide them.
“Edward, if you are determined to give me anything I want, and I know that an end to my confusion over what is going on is not an option, I wish for you to come home. I hate that I've driven you away. Come home, please.”
He cleared his throat, and then was silent for a moment before a squeaky voice, almost prepubescent, came over the phone. “As you wish, Isabella. I will be home before your birthday is over. I should pack now and then rest if I am to be there for your birthday dinner. We have guests arriving today, be careful around them. He is trouble.”
Great. Another overprotective male in my life who does not think I can take care of myself. Take a deep breath, Bella. “Thank you, Edward, for your concern; I will be on guard for more weird people who don't give real answers to my questions.”
His next words came out as if paining him. “I shall talk to Carlisle, tomorrow, and discuss your confusion to see what he and I can do for you. But not today, let your birthday be one of joy as it marks the day you entered this world.” He said something else, I heard the barest mumble as Edward spoke to himself. When questioned, he simply said that he was thinking aloud.
“May you have a blessed day, Bella. Enjoy all that Alice has planned for you. I shall see you this evening. Now, you must go to bed. It is too late for you to be awake. Sleep well.”
I dreamt of Edward all night, well for the five hours or so I actually slept. He truly was a kindred spirit and I looked forward to becoming his friend as time progressed. The lower half of me had throbbed in time with his voice, turning into a dull ache that caused me to press my thighs together, as he sang 'happy birthday' over the phone.
Lying on his couch bed after our call, I had laid my head back into the leather where his scent seemed almost ingrained. My pussy still throbbed from listening to Edward's voice and I could not resist the lure of pressing my hand against the apex of my denim-covered thighs. The pressure made it worse.
I lowered the zipper, each click of the teeth in the slider seemed impossibly loud, and popped free the button and then lowered the denim just a few inches so that I could slide my hand beneath. I heard footsteps on the floor below, so even with the door closed, I pulled the blanket down over me. Being seen by Emmett while I masturbated on Edward's couch was not my idea of fun.
I let the sweet lemon fresh scent wash over me while my fingers moved beneath the cotton briefs. Finding bare skin was still a shock despite having had forty-eight hours to become accustomed to it. Rosalie had taken me into a spa in Seattle while she had to go in search of some spare parts. She decided that we needed a “girl” day to get to know one another.
The waxing was painful, but not as bad as I had expected, and was a whole lot better than shaving daily. It was definitely a bonding experience as we laid on the chairs, a curtain separating us while she talked about all the places she's seen in the world. Apparently, she and Emmett decided to just get two year degrees and then travel. They plan to go back for their full bachelors degrees later and explore the beautiful places in the world now while they can enjoy the rugged backpacking .
As we sat sipping on champagne and picking at the fruit plate the woman had brought us while our lower legs and feet were massaged before the pedicure, Rosalie cut to the heart of the matter.
“I'm a bitch, but that does not mean I do not care. I care about my family and its well being before I care about anyone or anything else. You will be hard pressed to find anyone more loyal than I am to those I love. If you ever hurt someone I love, you will find me to be the monster from your worst nightmare. In the meantime, I would like to be your friend, although I am not the easy-to-like Alice with her ways of knowing exactly what you need.”
I nodded, not knowing what to say.
“Bella, like I said, I am a bitch, I know that. I'm rough edged, and not nearly as refined as my outside appearance may seem. I am a mechanic; I like to get down and dirty with a project, not simply pay to have it done. But, I like the best and only do the best. I'm the friend who will always have your back, but I'll tell you how things are. You will always get the truth from me, when I can give it, and you may not like it very much, but that's the friend I can be.”
“I'd like to be your friend, Rosalie.”
She smiled, those makeup-model beautiful lips turning up into something Angelina Jolie would be jealous of. “You may call me 'Rose.' You're one of us now.”
Later, as she parked her candy apple red convertible in its shrine within the garage, Rose said something that threw me for a loop and has still left me off balance. “If my Emmett chooses you, and you accept, I would be happy with his decision. I'd share him with you willingly. You are someone I enjoy being around, not like the other residents we have.” In other words, Lauren and Jessica.
~*~
Jake's door closing loudly broke my mind free from my memories with my fingers still pressing against my now bare pussy. Edward's voice had left me wet, my arousal coating my labia until I was slick. I slid my finger in the cleft, gently stroking my clit before sliding down to tease my entrance.I closed my eyes, my head tilting back into the arm cushion, as two fingers thrust into me. It had only been Eric's fingers for two years, he was always more than happy to help me out, even in the rare occasion he was not in the mood to help in a more sweat inducing way. Before that, Jake and I had a very healthy sex life up until his distancing.
Having Jake just a floor below, and thinking of his muscled body pressing against me ignited the flames into an inferno, my fingers pumping in and out of me. My head turned, my nose brushed against the leather, and I smelled Edward. Instantly, his was the face I saw above me in my mind. His lean body was the one kneeling between my thighs, long fingers stroking my wetness with a look of almost awe on his face.
I switched hands, two fingers on the left thrusting within me while my right middle finger set into a rhythm of stroking my clit until my hips were raising to meet my, and the dream Edward's, fingers. I could almost feel his lips on mine as the slowly warming leather brushed against my skin. I felt his back beneath my hands as he slid into me, his cock long and sleek like his body, not the thick bough of Jake's, but angled so he hit every little spot inside me.
When Edward buried his face in my neck, I imagined him sucking at the skin, marking me as his, and I came, my pussy clenching around my thrusting fingers. His name was the one I whispered as I climaxed. As my body relaxed, still trembling a minute later, I heard a lone wolf's cry in the deep woods.
On weak legs, I hobbled across the hall to my own room, set Carlisle's phone beside me in case Edward called back, and fell asleep. Waking up this morning, showed me the mountain of gifts. Reaching for the top box on the pile, it was much lighter than I expected. I tore the paper from it in a hurry, discovering a box empty except for a single sheet of paper.
Check the wardrobe
Happy Birthday, with love
The Cullens, all of us, especially Rosalie and Alice
Wardrobe? What wardrobe? I looked around the room, and nestled into the nook behind the piano was a new armoire.“How the hell did they get that in here?” I mused aloud.
Giggling immediately started up outside my door.
“Are you decent, Bella?” Rosalie called in to me.
“Does it matter? Ow! Dammit! That hurt, Rosie.” I should have expected that from Emmett.
“Yes, I'm covered, come on in.” I got up and went to the wardrobe, closing my eyes as I grasped the handles. Opening one eye slowly, I squinted, attempting to disbelieve what I saw. Opening the other revealed that I had seen correctly; more articles of clothing were artfully crammed into a small space than I think Eric and I had combined in Florida.
Alice and Rose barreled into the room and began showing me what they had purchased amid my complaints about spending too much. Jasper and Emmett stood just inside the doorway, shaking their heads and telling me it wasn't worth the effort, to just smile and say 'thank you.'
After picking out a soft sweater in a deep navy with tan corduroys, I kicked everyone out so I could get dressed. I slipped on a pair of cozy socks and then checked the rest of the boxes. They were empty of course.
I was on the third step down when Jake rushed up, barreled into me, and caught me just as I began to fall. “Happy birthday, Bells!”
Jake's lips pressed against my cheek as he spun around, making me dizzy as he jumped down at least seven stairs, landing with a thud before making two steps into his room. With a slight jarring of his torso, Jake kicked the door shut and then moved to sit on the couch, taking me with him. He released one hand from holding me, and grabbed a small paper bag from the table, setting it down in my lap.
I looked at him, a small smile on my lips despite my annoyance at being carried into his room again. Edward was coming home, for my birthday; and the thought excited me more than it should. I unfolded the brown paper bag and slid my finger across the taped end, opening it up to show a handful of wadded up tissue paper.
“Careful, I don't want you to cut yourself.”
I rolled my eyes, as it was at least the tenth time he's said it to me while I've been staying here. I carefully reached in and pulled out a bracelet. There were several pieces of beach glass wrapped in thin leather string and then a wooden wolf, hand-carved by Jake. It was beautiful.
“Do you like it?” Jake's voice had a little boy's hopeful tone encased within the smooth voice I knew so well.
“It's amazing, Jake. You've gotten so good at carving. I can't believe it!” I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his jawline in thanks. Warm lips turned and caught mine, causing memories to resurface.
“No, Jake. No. I can't do this again. I can't live in a life of secrets and worrying where you're going. I don't share well with others. I would not tolerate whatever you have going on with Rose, even if my heart could learn to trust you again. Besides, this is still all much too soon after I ended things with Eric to come back here. I can't deal with any of this.”
Jake stood, setting me down on the couch as he began to pace.
“I heard you on the phone with Edward last night, this morning, whatever. You certainly sounded happy to talk to him, happier than I've heard you in ages. You sounded like the old Bells, the one I grew up with.”
“The one you destroyed, Jacob.”
I stormed out of the room and bounced off of Jasper's plaid shirt covered chest. “Whoa, darlin'. Hold your horses before you fall down the stairs. That would not be the way to start your special day. Let's get you down to the kitchen where Esme is making Belgian waffles, and I think there are these odd sausage coffee muffins that Alice discovered when we were in Minneapolis a few years ago. The recipe I mean; not the muffins. They wouldn't be good now, I think. Why don't you go on down, sugar, and I'll see about straightenin' up your man here, again, so that your birth celebration is a happy one.”
~*~
After a hearty breakfast, I shared the news that Edward was coming home, and while there was not much surprise it seemed, everyone was more relaxed than I'd seen all week. Carlisle began to whistle as he rolled up his sleeves and helped Esme with the dishes. Rose was dusting the living room while humming a song, and everyone took a ladder and began polishing the floor to ceiling windows along the back wall.A few times, I heard mention of someone named James and quickly put that together with the notice from Edward that the family had a guest coming, so I set about making supper for everyone. I did not want to put Esme through the work of a special birthday dinner when I knew Alice had already ordered a cake from a Port Angeles bakery. I had the roast in the pan and was slicing carrots and potatoes when the knife slipped and I nicked my finger.
It stung but was not too painful. Then one ruby drop emerged, followed by a second. The cloyingly sweet scent mixed with rust as it hit my nose and the world began to spin.
“Something smells good in here.” Emmett's voice reached my ears as I began to fall and strong arms wrapped around me. Almost effortlessly, Emmett lifted me up against his chest, one arm around my shoulders, the other beneath my legs. He set me down on the counter so that we were at the same level.
I was still woozy from the blood as his hand slid down my arm slowly, and I watched as his eyes darkened into a burnt caramel. His fingers wrapped around my wrist, his thumb applying gentle pressure on the palm of my hand until my fingers extended. Emmett examined the cut, a small line of blood running down the finger now.
He made a purring sound and leaned in closer so that my legs had to part, allowing Emmett to step in between them. I watched, as if in slow motion, as Emmett lifted my finger to his mouth, his tongue coming out to lick the blood. The crimson line ran down his tongue and then it all disappeared as he took my finger into his mouth and sucked lightly. Each ridge of his tongue played my finger like an instrument before he released it, kissing the tip as he stepped back, both of us panting slightly.
“You taste divine.”
Emmett then walked away, leaving me on the counter in an aroused, yet confused, stupor. I pushed forward, and dropped to the ground. I was in a mental fog as I put the vegetables into the roasting pan and shoved it into the oven. The cut on my finger was gone, replaced by the faintest of silver lines.
Jake. I had to get to Jake.
I almost collided with the front door as it opened, a blond long-haired man entering in a leather coat and tight jeans, a tall curvy redhead behind him.
“Excuse me,” I mumbled as I ran up the stairs two at a time.
I ran into Jake's room and closed the door. He was stretched out on his bed, headphones on, as he relaxed.
“What? What's going on, Bells?”
I held up my finger.
“He licked me, Jake. He licked my finger where I'd cut it. The cut's gone. He licked me and the cut is gone.”
Jake was shaking as he rolled up to a seated position and then scooted off the bed.
“Who licked you?”
“Emmett. He...he came into the kitchen and I'd cut myself. He caught me as I started to fall...and then he licked me...” and I won't tell you how he sucked on my finger, “and then the cut was healed to just a scar.”
Jake crushed me to his chest, my ribcage complaining at the strength of his embrace. “Just breathe, Bells. You're safe here.”
I could feel his body continue to tremble as his fingers rubbed up and down my back.
“I think you need to know everything, Bella. I hate it. I wanted you to be outside this world; but I think you need to know. It may work out for us in the end if you do. You'll find out everything soon after.”
There were hot tears falling onto my face from Jake as he cried. “I didn't want this for you, my love, my only love. I wanted more for you than this life. I'll make it right. I will. I am taking you to Carlisle. He can answer all of your questions.”
What color ribbon is Edward going to wrap himself up in as a birthday present?
How do you think Bella will take the news from Doctor Hot Bitch?

No comments:
Post a Comment