The purple incense rose in piles around the meadow. The battle was over; now the assessment would begin. Edward was beside me, mentally scanning for any trace of our daughter and Jake. We both knew that they had run as I had planned. I still felt guilty for deceiving Edward; it was only one of my guilts. I still had my mate. That thought alone reopened the hole in my chest from when we saw Alice fall.
We had been at a standoff for some time. The preliminaries and accusation were made. We had made the decision to let Renesmee speak to Aro in her own way and our witnesses did verify they had watched her mature in their time at the Cullen home. The Volturi brothers decided that they must deliberate on their new found knowledge and determine what threat, if any, a half-vampire would make to our world. We were dismissed from Aro's immediate presence and returned to our place with our family. Edward was soothing Renesmee, singing in her ear while holding her close to his chest, when his head snapped up to the forest edge, his eyes seeking. The edge of his mouth lifted before he settled our daughter back onto Jake's back, her backpack still firmly in place. Alice and Jasper emerged from the canopy; he joined our ranks next to Emmett while she danced across the open field. My gaze flickered between my love and our sister as I watched their silent conversation. Edward's triumphant smirk settled my heart as I knew Alice had found a way to save Renesmee.
What a fool I had been to think Aro would listen to reason.
My only solace is that Edward had not been there.
Edward turned to me and looked in my eyes and mouthed “stay” before walking to Alice's side. He pulled at my hand repeatedly before I released my grasp, the fingers instinctively curling into Jake's fur on his back, the tendrils twisting in my need to hold tightly, yet his eyes never left the battlefield; I assume watching for his sign to run. My shield was stretching further now; the effort began to strain me slightly and when Edward met up with Alice, I slowly pushed my shield to encompass her glorious light as well. Alice shook her head, silently admonishing him, and he sighed- pinching the bridge of his nose as he so often did at me when a decision was not going his way- and he glided back to my side eyes tight with his frustration. Edward would definitely have words with his favorite sister when the day was over. The ancient one's voice was clear to our ears despite it being a whisper meant only for Alice.
“Is that the only outcome?” a pause “ah I see. Either way, I lose.” Alice began to walk back to us, her eyes on Jasper and a smile on her lips, when Aro pulled her back against him and then she was gone. He moved so quickly I had a hard time following as his lips met Alice's neck. Alice's head fell, and the fire Aro flicked at her consumed flesh, bone, hair, and clothing alike. Edward's hand tensed and he whispered, “Goodbye, my sister,” before crouching into an attack position.
And so the war began and just as quickly it was over. I could not yet grieve for my pixie sister. When we were in our home, in our bed, then I would grieve. My sobs here would help no one save myself and my pain was nothing compared to Jasper, Emmett, and Esme. I would cry for Alice, and for Rose. Emmett, my poor big brother.
The light had gone out of his eyes and he ripped Benjamin's head right off his neck when he saw the repeated lightning strikes hit Rosalie and set her aflame while she still walked. She screamed his name and was gone. Carlisle had turned on Amun at that moment and demanded, “why, my friend,” as he and Esme tore him limb from limb, never waiting for his answer. Esme lost two daughters. I was the only one left. The boys may as well have been gone. Jasper kept a tight lock on his emotions and coldly destroyed the Volturi army, ripping them apart one by one. He had let out his anguish at one moment and nearly crumbled my shield. My need to protect my family from Jane is the only thing that held me together. I knew if I let my shield go, we would all die.
Tanya and Irina avenged Alice but were taken down by guards before they could be aided. When Edward had taken out the witch twins as Kate went after the tracker; I circled with Marcus, a game of feinting with no injuries on either side. When Edward joined me, he waved me off with a slight growl. I knew that sound. This was his fight and I was not to interfere. Needing to fight for my family, for the cause many had sacrificed for, I joined with Jasper against the remaining guards.
The witnesses and nomads had fled upon Aro's death. The mighty Volturi were not so invincible when they could not mentally incapacitate their opponent. That was the day the royal family fell.
I vaguely recall Marcus surrendering to Edward, but my mind was gone at that point. The stress on my shield had become too great and my focus was on protecting my family not on where the threat lie. All I knew now was that my daughter was safely away, my mate still walked, and we needed to go home. Emmett was knocking down trees; with his targets lying in pieces in the field or as smoke rising, a new outlet was needed for his rage. Jasper lay crumpled on the ground near the still smoldering ashes that remained of his soulmate. I touched his shoulder, projecting what I hoped was love and sadness to him, before Edward and I returned to our cabin. There we sank to the ground as we sobbed in each other's arms, our silent hearts wishing we could cry for the loss received today.
EPOV
I will never forgive myself. If I had seen what Aro had planned, I could have stopped him. Jasper's thoughts as she fell were no surprise- they were the same I'd had when I went to Volterra and started this mess. If I had never left Bella then, Alice and Rose would still be with my brothers. I should have been the one to fall; I'm supposed to protect us, to protect them! My daughter is long away from here with no way to reach her; I can't help anyone. I know they do not blame me, but I carry enough blame for everyone. Oh God! Her last words to me. How can I tell them she knew?
I felt their thoughts when they was moments away, Alice and Jasper could cross the two miles of woodlands with only a few of Nessie's heartbeats. My daughter in my arms, where she belongs, her small warm hand against my cheek, telling me that mommy said she'd be alright and asking if I was ok. Her bronze hair ruffled in my fingers as I pulled her closer and finished the song I had written for her amusement. Jake bristled at the sound in the woods, before I murmured “they are friends” to calm his thoughts. As Alice stepped into the clearing, I settled Nessie onto Jacob's back again, locking her fingers securely in his fur. They knew the drill by now.
Alice's thoughts were going faster than ever, trying to tell me everything. That they left to bring help, that Nessie would be fine, that she had to meet with Aro now. I turned at human speed to my Bella. Her face was more radiant than ever to see her sister back with us. The loss had nearly crippled her, the loss of another best friend. I clung tightly to her hand for one last moment, murmuring “stay” so that she would not follow me. Alice had made it clear that she was to be the only one in the center. Well, when did I ever listen to the tiny annoying thing before? Bella's beautiful brow crumpled but she did acquiesce, although I chuckled as I knew she agreed because of Nessie, not because I told her. Our arms were stretched and I pulled nearly at full strength before she looked at my arm and released her grip. The look in her eyes still shows echoes of pain whenever we part. If it takes a century to remove that pain from her silent heart, I will show her that I'm not leaving again. My wife and my daughter are my reasons to exist. Without them, I am nothing.
I deserve nothing. I wasn't fast enough. I didn't understand why Alice was reciting all of the wedding vows anyone in our family has ever had.
We met with Aro in the neutral zone, Alice berating me in her thoughts. “I told you that only I was to come here! Go back to the line. Let me finish what I must Edward.”
Aro seemed amused by the silent conversation before him, my patience growing thin with the entire situation. Alice grasped his hand and I saw her replay her visions for him. We had two options, she brought back her own witness that there are others like Renesmee; she will be fine and pose no threat to our secrets, that the females bear no venom so she cannot turn others- we already knew that; she had bitten Bella. The Volturi would accept her and leave, they would deny the validity of the guests Alice brought back that are just now entering the clearing and would be obliterated by the fight between us all. Alice told me to head back now that my job was finished, stroking my arm as I left.
Aro's voice dripped with venom as he spoke “Is that the only outcome?”
Alice began translating Wuthering Heights into French. She didn't want me to hear her thoughts while he could search for what he wanted “Ah, I see. Either way, I lose.”
It was only when I reached Bella that Alice's voice rang clear in my head. “I'm sorry, my dear brother; this is the only way. I love you, take care of him for me.”
Aro's thoughts broke through with “this wasn't one of her options, but it will suffice. Defy me and die eternally,” as his cloaked arm wrapped around the small figure, his lips darting fast against her neck in the eternal kiss only my kind can give. The blood of her last hunt was still fresh in her body and then it was over; the whistle sounded and she was on fire before she hit the ground. I whispered the only goodbye I could, and crouched for the attack.
It was over now. My family had been broken into pieces. Nessie was long away from the battleground on Jake as they followed the plan that Bella, and I assumed Alice, had set into motion. Jasper was nearly catatonic on the ground, his clothing torn to pieces and more than one fresh scar added to his arms. Jasper's thoughts flickered wildly from their last moments together, how to end his life, and his duty to family, what she would have wanted. I closed my mind to him and Emmett. The least I could do was give them privacy in their grief, a grief I couldn't prevent, a grief I echoed at the loss of my sisters. Bella was clinging to my waist, shoulders shaking with her tear-less sobs. Esme and Carlisle were in the house, no doubt dealing with Marcus. He surrendered to me, and I gave him his request for my father's sake.
If I'd had my way, they would all be dead. But Carlisle still reeled from the loss of Aro and Amun and his thoughts were reaching for some connection to his longest standing friendships- friends that had been there before he brought me into his life. They had risked everything for my love so I could at least grant him this request. I stumbled through the woods to our cottage, Bella tucked into my side. We made it through the door before sinking to the floor together, our grief overwhelming us at last.
BPOV
It was dawn when we rose and showered off the grime from the battle. We showered together out of our need to not let go of one another, fear that danger was just around the corner, that we too could be separated. I was shocked when he finally spoke.
“Isabella, do you care to explain how Jane didn't incapacitate us all?” his eyes were still shadowed but he looking at me full of pride.
I took a deep breath, his scent overpowering me as I squeaked out, “Zafrina and I didn't want to tell you so that Aro could never find out.”
Edward's chuckle as he pulled me against his still wet chest removed a little of the exhaustion I felt. We still had each other. He wrapped a towel around me, placed a kiss upon my forehead and then went to get dressed. After pulling on my underwear, I towel dried my hair, combed it into a ponytail, and headed down the hall to our room. I got as far as Renesmee's room before my sobs resumed.
I entered her room and slid down onto my knees next to her crib. Edward heard me and his arms curled around me before I had even noticed he had entered the room. Without Renesmee here, a hole opened in my heart, even though I knew that I had sent her away. She was safe with her Jacob, he would never fail her. Edward pulled me up into arms and sat down in the antique rocker Esme had found us and he rocked me, much as we've both done to our little Nessie until the sobs finally stopped. Edward gathered me up against his chest and stood, carrying me to our bedroom, the towel still on the floor by the crib. He set me gently on the bed, eyes raking over my body before he shook his head and went into closet, emerging with a black cotton dress that had the same green stitching on the hem as his button up. I looked at the dress and he simply told me, “Alice,” while shaking his head, the corner of his mouth turned up in a half smile before it fell again.
“She knew?” I shouldn't have asked; of course she knew. She was Alice.
“Yes, my love. Her last words were that it was the only way, and that she loved us. She asked us to look after Jasper. These were on the hook inside the door with a note to wear these and go up to the house.” His eyes closed as he let out a ragged breath.
I grasped the dress from his outstretched arm and slid it on over my underwear. Edward buckled the boots Alice had set with it so that I was less likely to fall. The outfit was simple yet elegant; I only wish it was not worn for mourning.
He took my hand and we walked up to the house together. I looked towards the clearing once and replayed the events again, knowing they would be with me forever. Tugging against his strength, he slowed to a stop at the edge of the woods, his nearly ebony eyes searching for a clue on my face. I finally gave voice to what I needed, my family reunited as much as it could ever be.
“Edward. I need to go to Rio.” Confusion marred his face. I knew he was wishing that he could hear my thoughts as pain crossed his eyes, assuming I wanted to leave. “It's where I sent Jake and Renesmee. I have to bring them back.” He nodded and pulled me tighter, ever my protector and comfort.
“We'll get them back soon, my love. The mutt will take care of her and I am fairly certain you made certain they would be provided for. We're needed here for today. I miss her already; know that. Please, please know that; but she's not in danger now and our family needs us here.”
His eyes were still nearly black, the shadows beneath darker than I had ever seen, but love still shone through. “Esme is at the door waiting, let's go in and bring what comfort we can, Bella. We have eternity with our daughter; let us make sure she has a family to come home to. She'll be heartbroken enough without...” he stopped as my lips met his.
I couldn't bear him to say anymore if we were going to hold it together. As soon as the kiss started, I withdrew from his arms and made the last few steps up to the house. Esme opened the door and I walked into her arms.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can't believe your stories were pulled from FF. You're one of my favorite writers. I don't know what's going on with FF lately. I'm glad you have a blog now.
ReplyDeleteTake care! Mic (rmcrms5)
Thanks, bb! I'm slowly getting them reposted, it's just a bitch to do with so many stories and their chapters. I was ~200 chapters with everything.
ReplyDeleteI am both heartbroken and ANGRY that one of my favorite fanfiction.net stories was taken down! What the h--- do people not understand about a 'M' rating?!?!? Anyone with a slightly open mind could not even begin to complain about your original story. The Tie That Binds was an original, creative, well developed, and thought provoking story of how love/affection/relationships may exist in many forms. I look forward to reading the re-posted version; however, I weep that your original posting is gone forever. I'm so sorry that this has happened to such a creative and powerful artist. Keep your head up!
ReplyDelete